Big Lots

www.biglots.com
  www.biglots.com
There are newer employer reviews for Big Lots

Not a terrible place to work if you want money, it's easy but you have to be a hard worker and endure fast paced retail.

Former Employee - Casher/Stocking Shelves
Former Employee - Casher/Stocking Shelves

I worked at Big Lots

Pros

-20% Discount (even on clearance)
-30% Discount, twice a year
-Usually nice people to work with including management
-Casual wear environment(jeans, t shirt-they will issue you a vest to wear over your clothes)
-30 minutes unpaid for lunch, 15 min paid for breaks
-Customer interactive
-New items in each week, always a fun surprise
-Generally flexible with the schedule, you just have to make sure you get in your requests 2 weeks ahead of time(I do stress though if you are flexible with them, they will be with you, meaning take a shift once in a while to help another employee out, you'll likely receive the same treatment when your time comes.
-Not entirely difficult to get promoted, you have to prove your abilities. I went from stock room/sales floor/cashier to customer service in a year. Better pay goes along with that position.
-Part time workers get 4 hours of extra pay for working holidays(8 for full time)
-Opportunity to be crosstrained in the departments-keeps the boredom down

Cons

-Challenging work(stocking shelves, recovering the store after it's been destroyed, on your feet a lot)
-Each week the store gets a truck, and nobody knows what is on that truck. You may get a specific item in, price it, then put it on the shelf, then the following week get the same exact item at a different price-change the old price to meet the new one, and make room for it on the shelf to fit w/ the product that's there.
-Not amazing pay, but better than many other retail places, annual raise and review.
-Meeting deadlines of taking merchandise from back room to sales floor and on the shelves (that seem almost unlikely given the time you have to finish it)
-You must have patience to work here since many customers don't understand that the product they saw last week is never guaranteed to return since it's a discount store.
-Educate yourself on the job and what the store is about because many customers are clueless and get frustrated with you at the registers. It's easy to explain to them why the product they bought a month ago is now more expensive(new truck each week, prices change w/ inflation)
-Open every day except Xmas day. Open til 6pm usually on other holidays.

Big lots like any major retailer is a lot of hard work and I feel employees, management even, are are underpaid for the work they put into a day. District managers put a lot of pressure to get freight out in a specific time that many times is unreasonable, but most of the time, somehow, it gets done. There are many levels of retail, and my current job pays a lot more than what I was making at big lots, and I did 3 times the work at big lots. It's fast paced and stressful, especially around the holidays. Big lots should stand out from other retailers, and offer better pay to it's employees and more incentives to want to stay. One thing I did not like was when markdowns were to be taken off the shelf and thrown out, instead of given to a local shelter or to a food pantry for quick sales. It's a little extra paper work and some money, but helping out the community will not go unnoticed to the employees. People want to work somewhere that they feel good about, not just a job to pay the bills. And Big lots can afford community programs.

387 Other Employee Reviews for Big Lots (View Most Recent)

Unfair salary guidelines

I have been working at Big Lots

Pros

I Enjoy seeing the changes in store standards and the development of the store staff into a team. There is a real sense of pride and ownership in our store.

Cons

Promotions from within the company get paid less than hires from outside the company, current assocites are not rewarded for talent and knowledge. Reminds me of the " good old boys" club when it comes to promotions and raises, male managers typically make more than female managers.

Stop preaching about finding talent within the company and start rewarding it, don't limit raises based on the original salary, a talented associate may have been underpaid to begin with, loyalty and dedication should be a bigger factor.

Big Lots Management

Current Employee - Operations Manager
    Current Employee - Operations Manager

I have been working at Big Lots

Pros

Positioned well in today's ecoomy, store is experienceing tremendous growth.

Cons

Hard, work, not enough hourse, extremely high expecttations, Assistant managers hafe now geen changed to hourly, with 5 houra of overtime - and our new hourly rate has been based on 45 hours, but have more work to do. We all lost pay with the conversion.

Pay attention to employee concerns. Many of them are quite valid and help the store run more smoothly.

There are newer employer reviews for Big Lots