Big Y Foods

There are newer employer reviews for Big Y Foods

Okay but unfair

Former Employee - Fresh Foods Clerk in Amherst, MA
Former Employee - Fresh Foods Clerk in Amherst, MA

I worked at Big Y Foods part-time (more than 5 years)

Pros

decent pay, flexible hours, interesting work, some cool co-workers

Cons

The management is terrible. After working for the company for four and a half years and being one of the top employees in my store I was targeted because the store manager didn't like me. I had a huge target on my back and couldn't even transfer stores because they just wanted me gone, so I had no other option but to quit or to continue being treated in this manner. The ESR's are not on the employees side either making matters worse. I've never been in a job where the management acted like high school bullies before, they are just horrible! Also you will never get a promotion unless you suck up, your work ethic hardly matters.

Stop all the high school gossip and cliques! I was with the company for so long that I saw in three different locations I worked in how the management communicated with each other and would run people out just because of personal opinions and not because of the work an individual did!

83 Other Employee Reviews for Big Y Foods (View Most Recent)

An okay place so far.

Current Employee - Service Clerk in East Longmeadow, MA
    Current Employee - Service Clerk in East Longmeadow, MA

I have been working at Big Y Foods part-time (more than a year)

Pros

*Some Nice people to work with at the front end as well as customers if you know them.
    *Pay is good
    *Fast-paced environment means they're a lot to do in departments.

Cons

*Management can get a little unethical and, at times, incompetent
    *Exempt from benefits if certain requirements aren't met regardless of how long you were employed
    *Employees and some managers can initially seem closed-minded and rude towards those they are unfamiliar with. Managers can also get a bit sour if an employee gives simple criticism.
    *Rude customers

Drop the favoritism and treat all employees equally, that'll create a more comfortable environment for everyone. Also, constructive criticism from both employees and customers alike is intended to help both you and the store's integrity, and not belittle you as an manager.

Not horrible, but room for lots if improvement

Current Employee - Clerk in Springfield, MA
    Current Employee - Clerk in Springfield, MA

I have been working at Big Y Foods as an intern (less than a year)

Pros

Benefits for full-time employees
    Flexible scheduling for students
    Clean stores

Cons

Nepotism, cliques and favoritism
    Low pay for certain jobs AND certain people
    Key personnel transferred without explanation or notice
    Mandatory weekends and holidays (no family time)
    Advancement is extremely political

Encourage fairness and equity. Observe first hand rather than continually surveying staff and customers. Staff fears recriminations so they aren't honest. Customers usually only participate when dissatisfied or a reward is offered. Truly appreciate staff, not because it's on the calendar to do so. Most of the corporate employees have only worked at this company so very little changes. New or different is ignored or patronizingly acknowledged then dismissed. Let new ideas in for real.

There are newer employer reviews for Big Y Foods