BigCommerce

www.bigcommerce.com
There are newer employer reviews for BigCommerce

Incredible company, great opportunities

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Austin, TX

I have been working at BigCommerce full-time (more than an year)

Pros

Bigcommerce has an incredible culture. The best thing about working at Bigcommerce is the relationships I have built with my coworkers. I enjoy going to work each and every morning. I like my manager. I feel confident in the direction the company is heading. I appreciate our core values, but I appreciate even more that we actually stand by them. I respect that people who don't care for them are asked to leave, or know they're not a good fit and find their way out. As far as I know we operate inline with my moral compass. We're very transparent with one another. We support each other at all turns. We don't yell, scream and fight each other to get our way. We work together to support our clients. Plus we have beer, snacks, games and we can skateboard to the kitchen.

Cons

We're currently undergoing such hyper-growth that things move very fast, leading to constant change. If you can't work when things change quickly, this may cause you stress. To me, it's exciting, and I look forward to the point where it all hits the mark.

Please give employees more opportunity, whether it be new titles or more frequent pay incentives. This will build help retention.

37 Other Employee Reviews for BigCommerce (View Most Recent)

Caring employees, the rest falls game to usual start-up growing pains

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Austin, TX
    Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Austin, TX

I worked at BigCommerce full-time (more than an year)

Pros

-some really smart, fun and passionate co-workers
    -nice amenities if you're in your 20's - "chillax" room, yoga, pool table, ping pong, game room, kegs, swings
    -good health insurance coverage; fitness incentives
    -flexible work-from-home hours if you have the right manager
    -great original core team and vision
    -originally felt like I was working for a company that truly did good

Cons

-many of the smart, fun and passionate co-workers have left
    -if you're not in your 20's and this isn't your 1st/2nd job, the amenities don't outweigh the hours or commute
    -long hours if you don't set limits for yourself; if you do only work 40-50 hours you feel overwhelmed with not being able to get everything done in time
    -get the details and read the fine lines of your vacation and bonus agreement payouts
    -location/commute to 360 - completely removed from Austin and no local connection outside of the office wall murals
    -Australian headquarters makes decision making processes lengthy and over-complicated
    -moving from a small management team to a multilayer was not employee focused and completely changed the culture

The idea and drive behind the company is really positive and enticing, but the executive changes made in the past year have taken their toll on the culture and environment. Bringing in experienced VPs from larger companies seems like a logical step when growing from a start-up to desired IPO, but there is a huge gap between what used to be the core Directors fully immersed in what their teams were experiencing day-to-day to a now large VP core making decisions based on stats and ideas that in no way relate to what is going on at ground level.

Reevaluate if your core values of Simplify & Honesty are being practiced.
    Understand how many hours your employees are working to get your directives done, and help find ways to lessen the workload rather than giving awards for people working so hard.
    Don't pretend to care; actually care or don't say anything.

Bigcommerce is a fast-paced fast-growing company where everyone gives 110%.

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Austin, TX

I have been working at BigCommerce full-time (less than an year)

Pros

Surrounded by passionate, super smart people. Little to no red tape. Stock options. Exciting, fun product. Helping small business owners on a global scale. Awesome, artsy office (all sorts of games, swings, free lunches, etc). Picky about new hires. Good benefits - 3 weeks paid vacation starting your first year.

Cons

Some pressure to become a workaholic, stressful at times because of lofty growth goals.

Promote a healthier work-life balance.

There are newer employer reviews for BigCommerce