There are newer employer reviews for BigMachines

Good coworkers, positive environment, constantly-changing process.

Current Employee - Software Engineer I in Deerfield, IL
Current Employee - Software Engineer I in Deerfield, IL

I have been working at BigMachines full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Coworkers are talented and friendly. The powers that be keep us on a pretty long leash; we get to work from home from time to time and make our own hours unless there's something that demands that we be there at a certain time. I know the value of enjoying the work I do and the environment I do it in and BigMachines provides me with good work in a good environment.

Cons

Processes change often, making month-to-month work and position in the company seem unsteady at best. Promotions and raises are talked about in vague language and middle management seems to not know the intentions of HR and upper management when it comes to corporate structure and methods for promoting their reports.

Advice to Management

Have clear processes in place for how people are to be promoted. If you determine that the current processes are inadequate; have new processes in place rather than stopping almost all promotions for months while you figure out how you're going to do things. Be transparent and forthright with middle management and let them be the same with their workers.

0 reviews filtered by
  • Any Status

Frat house environment

Current Employee - Implementation Engineer in Deerfield, IL
    Current Employee - Implementation Engineer in Deerfield, IL

I have been working at BigMachines full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Easy job to get since it's a small company, great for first job out of school if you cant get something better. Pretty lenient, and relaxed environment. Small company feel.

Cons

Low pay, no HR department to keep the place a sane place to work, large work load.

Advice to Management

Spend more time reviewing the ways you recruit and retain employees. Give more salary bonus and rewards based on some kind of structure. Pay for training.

Growing pains, inept management and 'corporatization' have drained so much good from the machine.

Former Employee - Sales in Deerfield, IL
    Former Employee - Sales in Deerfield, IL

I worked at BigMachines full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

You'll work with smart people if you can pass the test.
    Friday lunches and beer.
    Good opportunity for a college grad to get their feet wet.

Cons

Vista Equity forced a square peg in a round hole with many of its strategic initiatives and employee measurement rankings, and brought a dark cloud over what used to be a great culture. They do not pay anywhere near industry averages, and try to milk all they can get from their employees, expecting you to give up your personal life just to meet expectations. Management doesn't know how to set accurate metrics to measure performance, so they are constantly changing as they flounder to figure it out (since most are brand new). While most people at BigMachines are great to work with there are a few that only hold the titles they have because they've been around too long. They will throw you under the bus, micro manage, speak condescendingly, spin things to avoid actually helping, and do what they can to make themselves look better at your expense - fortunately this does not apply to the majority.

Advice to Management

Listen to your employees instead of placating them with fake promotions and fluff in your all hands meetings. Recognize and pay them for their efforts and contributions and perhaps you'll be able to keep the talent that seems to be flooding out the door.