Bigelow Aerospace

www.bigelowaerospace.com

Not for engineers, run by motel mogul

Former Employee - Systems Engineer  in  North Las Vegas, NV
Former Employee - Systems Engineer in North Las Vegas, NV

Pros

Lots of responsibility due to lack of people.

Coolness of working in space industry

VEGAS baby! (gets old though)

The coolness of working in the space industry is very alluring. Companies like SpaceX and Blue origin are prime examples of why people want to get into this new industry. Bigelow Aerospace is in that industry, but that is all it has in common with the other companies. You will get a lot of work since there isn't that many experienced people in the company and also because its a small compnay. So if you know what you're doing (sr level +) then it may be fulfilling

Cons

Little to no career growth potential

Underpaid with sub par benefits

Management not very competent

Run by owner who values "mock ups" more than actual hardware

Their 1-2 year turnover rate is well over 50%, probably closer to 70%. That should say a lot right there. The owner does not value people as assets. He's from the hotel industry and to him, engineers are overpaid construction workers and you will get treated as such. The biggest problem that is evident throughout the company is that the owner doesn't trust anyone other than his direct program managers (~ 2 people). There are no flex hours, you must work no earlier than 8 and no later than 5 pm. Anything else requires prior manager approval. They have gun touting guards to check your time in and out of the gate every day. All vacation require 2 weeks approval and you must fill out a form, and this approval isn't always easy to get near holidays. Again, this is for an engineer position.

There is NO tuition reimbursement and no employee training. As an HR rep told me, "The owner would rather invest in his company than the people"....

Benefits include med, dental, vision, but 401k takes 6 yrs to vest, so it's sub par to me.

Listen to engineers and know that getting to space isn't cheap.

Other reviews for Bigelow Aerospace

Vegas Aerospace

Pros

If you work hard there can be amazing benefits and big rewards. Many opportunities for you if you understand the approach and have a bit of common sense. Listen, watch and learn. Be proactive in your approach. Get the job done and enjoy yourself its a great place to work. Great time off policies and 401k benefits.

Cons

More accountability needs to be established at all levels for actions and non-actions. A better understanding of long term goals is needed. Upper management needs to let managers and in line employees make more decisions and hold them accountable.

Listen to everyone and understand their situation. Open door policies go a long way in opening the eyes of employees. Talk to employees and ask what can be improved. Everyone wants to do well its your job to help them succeed.

"Don't trust the Boss"

Former Employee - General Worker  in  Las Vegas, NV
    Former Employee - General Worker in Las Vegas, NV

Pros

1 - Awesome variety of projects
    2 - Free Ice Cream, cookies and coffee from 10am to 2pm
    3 - Engineers/workers seem to be highly qualified to perform the tasks assigned

Cons

1 - Taking 10 minute breaks are frowned upon
    2 - Do not question the Boss. Even when you know the product/design is poorly constructed. Keep your mouth shut, or you will pay the price.
    4 - It seems as though the middle management is bent on lecturing their employees about certain safety practices, Meanwhile....I noticed safety equipment is worn, frazzled and inspections are out of compliance. Keep in mind, you don't dare mention the equipment compliance issue because it makes you look like a complainer, and that's all it takes to get fired.
    5 - Do not make suggestions for improving speed and efficiency. The middle management does not like it when THEY didn't come up with the idea.
    6 - Do not do anything too noteworthy. If word gets out that the lowest rank and file came up with a brilliant idea, and the idea didn't come from the middle management, then it somehow reflects the INABILITY of the middle management to manage their own section.
    7 - I was told early on to keep a very low profile because you don't want to draw any attention to yourself. This was sound advice. I did not follow this seemingly silly advice and now I find myself in a situation where middle management finds me as a threat and they are now head hunting for a reason to "defuse" the threat.
    8 - Basic training programs are NON-existant. (10K forklift, man-lifts, etc) Employees are left to wonder if they should operate the equipment. Some employees simply do not operate any equipment because they are not sure if they will get lectured or not. The same employee is not going to approach their boss because, if you "bother" the boss with mundane details, you are now a target.
    9 - The job is 99% likability and 1% skill and knowledge. You can be a "wrecking ball" of destruction, as long as the boss likes you, you will never get fired. The reverse is also true.... You can be the only electrical engineer with actual Aerospace experience.....this means nothing. Bigelow Aerospace will fire you, immediately.

If we, (as a company) want to have any chance of meeting the lofty goals recently set before us, the middle and upper management need a complete shift in culture.
    1 - Hire a qualified Aerospace Engineer to replace (Number 2) with an open minded person, with a minimum of 10 years experience in the Aerospace industry to lead this company out of the dismal situation we are in.
    2 - Mr. Bigelow must realize NOW, that the current culture is self defeating, and if we want to implement a system of Quality improvements, we must be allowed to voice our opinion and be a part of the process.
    3 - Moral will not improve because of one seal team six motivational speaker. What we want is to help Mr. Bigelow achieve his dream. We want to be "IN THE GAME"
    4 - Consider replacing Middle management who have proven themselves to be incompetent.
    5 - Have a company meeting and openly discuss issues affecting productivity and morale.
    6 - Discuss mistakes being made and ways to improve and eliminate those mistakes

There are newer employer reviews for Bigelow Aerospace.

Worked for Bigelow Aerospace? Contribute to the Community!