Bill Miller Bar-B-Q

www.billmillerbbq.com
  www.billmillerbbq.com
There are newer employer reviews for Bill Miller Bar-B-Q

A company that does not respect their employees

Current Employee - Cashier, Preparing the Food  in  San Antonio, TX
Current Employee - Cashier, Preparing the Food in San Antonio, TX

I have been working at Bill Miller Bar-B-Q

Pros

The company will pay up to $500 dollars for your education. The only condition is working part time for the company, being employed for 3 months and passing all the courses with a C or better

Cons

Management! This has been a challenge for the company ever since I started working there. I have been with the company for nine years and not much has improved. I highly consider not working for this company because they have no respect for their employees. I have been working for the company for nine years and have not gotten any recognition for the hard effort. Yes it is a job but I have also seen managers and employees quit the company after a week of working there.

I believe the program used to train their managers is not strong enough! It is very common for the company to hire young managers that do not have the skills or the knowledge to run a store. This puts a lot of stress on the employes who are trying to do there job adequately. I believe this company is not a company to be proud of working for! I would strongly advise the reader to consider working somewhere else! Yes the hiring pay is high but it is high for a reason! If you do not mind being pushed, talk down to then go ahead and work here.
Also the owners of the company have no respect for their employes. After working nine years for this company I have not seen an owner of the company paying their respects to their employes. Not even with a simple "Thank you or Good job" which we know can make a huge difference!

26 Other Employee Reviews for Bill Miller Bar-B-Q (View Most Recent)

Old fashioned management where employee's are pushed to "do better" regardless of current output for current position

Current Employee - Everything  in  Schertz, TX
    Current Employee - Everything in Schertz, TX

I have been working at Bill Miller Bar-B-Q

Pros

The pay is quite nice and assuming one has a good work ethic, raises and hours can be acquired fairly quickly if it at high volume store.
    Two weeks of paid vacation after one year of "full time (30 hrs)" (vacation time is avg of two week hrs)
    Flexible schedule- breakfast stores are open 5:30am-9pm
    Biweekly pay
    Interaction between coworkers is generally okay

Cons

What the area manager thinks of a current situation is more important than the employee's well being (ie you probably wont get to eat or use the bathroom if the area manager is there)
    You can work 6-8hr shifts with no break or a break 20-30min after you clock in OR 10-12hr shifts with ONE break, usually at their discretion
    When you call in, regardless of the reason, you're usually given the 3rd degree and a bad attitude from the management.
    You're never good enough. EVER.

The leadership skills in lower management are laughable. I've worked with Mr. Crumpler and one of the Miller sons. I have no idea what happens between them and low management, but it needs to be corrected if you desire to "gain" every week. A pissed employee or a sick employee or a hungry employee is not going to have the output or the attitude that you desire as a company. I suggest you interview your "lowly" employees if you want to know what's actually going on when you aren't present.

The Truth

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee  in  San Antonio, TX
    Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in San Antonio, TX

I worked at Bill Miller Bar-B-Q

Pros

Reasonably good pay
    Flexible schedule for general employees
    Reasonably nice employee benefits (1/2 off meals during break, time and 1/2 overtime pay, paid vacation each year, tuition reimbursement up to $500, optional healthcare and 401k plans after 1 year of full-time employment)

Cons

Constantly belittled by management (very verbally abusive!!!)
    No recognition for hard work and a job well done
    Constantly asking for runs to various places and to work on your scheduled days-off
    Uneducated and unprofessional management (favoring individuals for personal reasons and gossiping about others)
    Promotion is based primarily on your personal relationship with your store's managers
    The owners are more humble than the managers
    Management puts on a 180 front when the owners come in

Beware of the negative implications of the theory X management style that is so evidently prevalent in all layers of the management currently. Positive reinforcement and encouragement yields a better response from employees, as opposed to condensing remarks, criticisms, and a lack of appreciation for going the extra mile. A whistleblower outlet should be encouraged (on the company's website, perhaps), as many employees would report the unethical behavior of middle management (which impacts the bottom line) if they didn't fear that doing so would cost them their jobs.

There are newer employer reviews for Bill Miller Bar-B-Q

Worked for Bill Miller Bar-B-Q? Contribute to the Community!