Bill & Melinda Gates Foundation

www.gatesfoundation.org
Employer Engaged
There are newer employer reviews for Bill & Melinda Gates Foundation

OK place to work as a contractor

Former Contractor - Contract Technical Writer in Seattle, WA
Former Contractor - Contract Technical Writer in Seattle, WA

I worked at Bill & Melinda Gates Foundation as a contractor (less than a year)

Pros

Campus is amazing; onsite café was fantastic; work was interesting; I was pretty much left on my own to do my job; the Help Desk staff was awesome and amazingly responsive (unlike at Microsoft); it was a very low-stress contract, which was great

Cons

Lots of cliques--I felt like an outcast; contractors are treated like second-class citizens, even though 99% of my project team were contractors; employees spent a great deal of time complaining to each other about internal politics; the project that I was hired to work on was poorly planned; it's a very untrusting environment; open-space work area is extremely annoying--you have to wear headphones and listen to music if you want to concentrate and get work done

It's hard to give advice to management when I was only a contractor there for a short time, but it's obvious there are problems that need to be addressed--listen to your employees and try to resolve the issues.

118 Other Employee Reviews for Bill & Melinda Gates Foundation (View Most Recent)

A fast-paced place to learn tremendously but you have to like being under constant stress

Former Employee - Program Assistant in Seattle, WA
    Former Employee - Program Assistant in Seattle, WA

I worked at Bill & Melinda Gates Foundation full-time

Pros

If you like being around smart interesting people with amazing backgrounds and ambitions, BMGF is great. You learn a lot and if you have a great manager, can grow.

Lots of resources for creativity.

Cons

Generally a stressful and competitive place. HR and management is poor-- not a lot of transparency, accountability and feedback loops, poor consistency and standards, lots of people without management experience doing management. Lots of smart people means lots of ego to deal with. The organization is constantly reorganizing and this is also stressful. Top and bottom heavy organization with little clear upward mobility within the organization.

Teach your POs how to manage. Give people the opportunity to grow wtihin the organization even if it means seconding them to the field for a couple years. Don't assume that something tech-fancy will solve the world, particularly if it's coming from Microsoft. Treat your employees like they matter and are not immediately replaceable. Invest in people, not just ideas.

Bill and Melinda Gates Foundation

Current Employee - Program Officer in Seattle, WA
    Current Employee - Program Officer in Seattle, WA

I have been working at Bill & Melinda Gates Foundation full-time (more than 5 years)

Pros

Mission; ability to have impact; ability to move ideas to action; smart and dedicated colleagues; high level of intellectual dialogue; thorough strategic thinking

Cons

Political and hierarchical culture; some unnecessary bureaucracy; internal promotion is rare and career development opportunities severely limited; lack of transparency in decision-making;

Be more transparent and systematic in decision-making.

There are newer employer reviews for Bill & Melinda Gates Foundation