Bill & Melinda Gates Foundation

Challenging and Rewarding

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Seattle, WA
Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Seattle, WA

I have been working at Bill & Melinda Gates Foundation

Pros

- Being a part of the mission is inspiring
- Benefits are great
- It is challenging to work here, which I find very satisfying
- We are given amazing resources to do our job
- Flexibility
- Opportunity to work on really interesting and engaging projects
- Opportunity to work with gifted and passionate co-workers
- It is always fun to answer the question "where do you work?"

Cons

- We sometimes over think our solutions and fail to see the simple answer in front of us.
- There are a small percentage of employees who lack humility and spread an unblanced amount of negative energy to those they work with. It appears that thier behaviour and attitudes are tolerated by management, which is frustrating.
- We rely on temporary consultants for a lot of strategic work and thinking rather than our own internal long term resources. (This is improving)

Continue with the "How we work" initiative and hold people accountable who are not showing improvement. Hire effective managers, and continue to train our current managers. Put a formal and effective performance review process and toolset in place. Continue to identify your work and your teams work to the mission.

116 Other Employee Reviews for Bill & Melinda Gates Foundation (View Most Recent)

Amazing and Rewarding Place to Work

Current Employee - Applications Technician in Seattle, WA
    Current Employee - Applications Technician in Seattle, WA

I have been working at Bill & Melinda Gates Foundation

Pros

- I have always felt I am a valuable and contributing part of the foundation.
     - My participation is always valued and requested.
     - Opportunity for personal growth is amazing
     - Compensation and benefits are more than fair.
     - Outreach possibilities within the community are encouraged
     - Foundation fosters a family-like work environment.
     - Incentives are high for "green" workplace/commute

Cons

- It does take quite a bit of effort and and indeterminate amount of meetings for decisions to be made.
    - Organization as a whole is slow to change

My advice would be to continue to hold question and answer sessions for all foundation staff. Continue to foster true communication and feedback from the staff. Your efforts are amazing so far - keep up the great work!

It isn't perfect, but what place is?

Current Employee - Operations - Program Assistant in Seattle, WA
    Current Employee - Operations - Program Assistant in Seattle, WA

I have been working at Bill & Melinda Gates Foundation

Pros

Generous benefits (insurance, matching for retirement, up to date technology items, free snacks/sodas, etc.), generally an overall positive team environment, individuals who are focused not only on their own professional improvements, but also overall team improvements.

As the foundation grows in size, there are gradual improvements to process which yes take time to implement, but are done so with careful consideration (albeit sometimes over democratic rationale) of input.

I am a 4+ year veteran of the foundation and I still love coming to work 95% of the time.

Cons

At times can be difficult to communicate effectively with other teams. What I don't understand are some of the budgeting decisions made as this organization operates under the idea that there is a limitation to funds yet the co-chairs spend literally crazy amounts of funds to build a new campus.

There are still general feelings of unfairness between programs and operations units - the program areas definitely get preferential treatment. Programs and operations are held to differing standards of ROI, expenditures, employee performance and behaviors. More could be done from the foundation's leadership team to finally once and for all truly try to change perspectives and behaviors between the programs and operations.

There are still pockets of individuals who choose to push their hierarchy/title upon others.

The foundation could possibly seek more uptake of cross foundation processes and also a decrease of expenditures on administrative repetition/reworking (right now each program area and even with each department of operations re-works the wheel of how administration and communication are done) if leadership would seriously consider reorganizing to align more like how the Ford Foundation works with their grant management life cycles and processes.

There are newer employer reviews for Bill & Melinda Gates Foundation