There are newer employer reviews for Billabong

Oh my Gosh, could moral be any lower!

Former Employee - Designer  in  Irvine, CA
Former Employee - Designer in Irvine, CA

I worked at Billabong full-time for more than 5 years

Pros

If it makes you feel your a “cooler” person to say you work for a “cool” company.

Cons

It is not a “cool” company. They blatantly rip off designs from brands within their same industry. Management from the President on down is very arrogant and, as a woman, in the design dept. your treated like your definitely not in the “boys club” If you wanted a definition of ‘Micromanagement” this would be the place. If you leave your desk for over 8 minutes you boss is actively looking for you!
 The President is a... to his management people, seriously, so then it passes down all the way to you, the employee. In our dept, “clicks” because we’re girls I guess, but I’ve worked with girls where management didn’t have your job in such a “fear managing” style, as ALL of Billabong does, I’ve been where they truly believe in the “Team”, and you know what, it works. No more “clicks” with us girls. The guys area ( we go to lunch together) is the same way, everyone is in fear of management, and their jobs.
 So if your a merchandiser, or graphic designer and want to work in this industry I would say make this a non-option. It will become your life, and thus your life becomes drowned in their negativity, and fear, and don’t take my word for it. They will tell you within the first two weeks your their, if you hadn’t already sensed it, and wished you never applied. I happen to cross with alot of upper-management, and I can only think of 1 manager, who was “human” to work with. It is sad for company who’s outside “image” is surfing, fun, and lifestyle, and yet inside you are literally, and seriously, “pinned” to your chair and desk not from 9-5, but from 9am to 6pm strictly and enforced.

Please, don’t just listen to me, ask around to former employees.

Fear management never works. Let employees feel free, and have a sense of ownership, and you might be able to save the Billabong Titanic.

30 Other Employee Reviews for Billabong (View Most Recent)

Billabong corporate review

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee  in  Irvine, CA
    Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Irvine, CA

I worked at Billabong full-time for more than 5 years

Pros

Health, 401, and other benefits are very good. Working in the action sports industry is enjoyable (though not here), and you are able to wear great clothing.

Cons

The company has far too many egos and they get in the way of prospering. Upper management is arrogant and does not truly understand how to fix the mistakes they've made. They have lost a bunch of very strong people, either laid off or quit, when the upper management needs to be changed so the company can use it's employee's creative talents to succeed. As long as the top management is there the company will not grow. There have been very few and if so, small raises for the past 4 years. You can get promoted but not get a raise.

Worry about creating a better work environment where your employees can create fresh and compelling new products instead of limiting their abilities. Don't let go of talent for the sake of lower inexperienced employees. Talent drives the business forward, inexperience repeats the same mistakes that are being made.

It gave me an opportunity to grow and develop.

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee  in  Chicago, IL
    Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Chicago, IL

I worked at Billabong

Pros

The managing staff is really flexible and willing to work around your schedule which is important when going to school full-time.

Cons

Sometimes hard to balance with full-time school.

Keep up the great work! :)

There are newer employer reviews for Billabong

Worked for Billabong? Contribute to the Community!