There are newer employer reviews for Billabong

it was a competition for sales.

Former Employee - Sales Associate in Orlando, FL
Former Employee - Sales Associate in Orlando, FL

I worked at Billabong part-time (less than a year)

Pros

discounts were decent especially on clearance.

Cons

since I was the youngest employee at the time all the older employees made me do things they didn't want to do like moping sweeping dusting and other various things. They always gave me my break last and my manager was really rude to my family when they would come by the store to browse.

reviews filtered by

Oh my Gosh, could moral be any lower!

Former Employee - Designer in Irvine, CA
    Former Employee - Designer in Irvine, CA

I worked at Billabong full-time (more than 5 years)

Pros

If it makes you feel your a “cooler” person to say you work for a “cool” company.

Cons

It is not a “cool” company. They blatantly rip off designs from brands within their same industry. Management from the President on down is very arrogant and, as a woman, in the design dept. your treated like your definitely not in the “boys club” If you wanted a definition of ‘Micromanagement” this would be the place. If you leave your desk for over 8 minutes you boss is actively looking for you!
     The President is a... to his management people, seriously, so then it passes down all the way to you, the employee. In our dept, “clicks” because we’re girls I guess, but I’ve worked with girls where management didn’t have your job in such a “fear managing” style, as ALL of Billabong does, I’ve been where they truly believe in the “Team”, and you know what, it works. No more “clicks” with us girls. The guys area ( we go to lunch together) is the same way, everyone is in fear of management, and their jobs.
     So if your a merchandiser, or graphic designer and want to work in this industry I would say make this a non-option. It will become your life, and thus your life becomes drowned in their negativity, and fear, and don’t take my word for it. They will tell you within the first two weeks your their, if you hadn’t already sensed it, and wished you never applied. I happen to cross with alot of upper-management, and I can only think of 1 manager, who was “human” to work with. It is sad for company who’s outside “image” is surfing, fun, and lifestyle, and yet inside you are literally, and seriously, “pinned” to your chair and desk not from 9-5, but from 9am to 6pm strictly and enforced.

Please, don’t just listen to me, ask around to former employees.

Advice to Management

Fear management never works. Let employees feel free, and have a sense of ownership, and you might be able to save the Billabong Titanic.

Billabong corporate review

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Irvine, CA
    Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Irvine, CA

I worked at Billabong full-time (more than 5 years)

Pros

Health, 401, and other benefits are very good. Working in the action sports industry is enjoyable (though not here), and you are able to wear great clothing.

Cons

The company has far too many egos and they get in the way of prospering. Upper management is arrogant and does not truly understand how to fix the mistakes they've made. They have lost a bunch of very strong people, either laid off or quit, when the upper management needs to be changed so the company can use it's employee's creative talents to succeed. As long as the top management is there the company will not grow. There have been very few and if so, small raises for the past 4 years. You can get promoted but not get a raise.

Advice to Management

Worry about creating a better work environment where your employees can create fresh and compelling new products instead of limiting their abilities. Don't let go of talent for the sake of lower inexperienced employees. Talent drives the business forward, inexperience repeats the same mistakes that are being made.

There are newer employer reviews for Billabong