Billabong

www.billabongcorporate.com

Wal-mart of surf companies,only Wal mart pays Dist.ctr employees better....

Picker/Packer (Current Employee) The Dalles, OR

Prosdiscounted product prices/set schedule/steady income/Paid time off during xmas for full time employees./vacation and sick leave/medical dental insurance

ConsDirty environment/extreme working conditions/lack proper facilities for hygiene and rest periods(dirty refreshment area/long hours/poor treatment of hourly employees/Bad ergonomics practiced/Lack of training or advancement/Located inside a prison property(no joke)/no exterior lighting at night or early morning(security hazard for employees esp. females)Pay scale starts at minimum wage with no future raises in sight.(long term full time employees were recently given a 3% cost of living bump after nearly 2 years of Wage freezing.( a double digit raise was promised and never followed up on,despite substantial growth and profit during a recession)Lack of understanding and how to knowledge has led to poor use of facility resources and space,logistics nightmares occur daily when trying to complete orders.New software has only decreased productivity,Selective favoritism has led to hardest working employees excluded from responsibility and less productive ones in charge of minor tasks which has led to de-motivation of hardest working employees.Turnover rate had lead to higher percentage of un-knowledgeable unskilled workforce.forced mandatory overtime weeks has led to bad morale among hourly employees who have other responsibilities away from work(kids/pets/families etc.)

Advice to Senior ManagementCome get involved in person.See the talented people who have hoisted this company on their backs and carried it through tough times,and got the work done,Reward them and see if their attitude improves.Give them a chance to show you how it should be done,and all the places we can improve,
the budget for tools is pathetic,we are short of radios since we expanded our crewmwe need more new hand trucks and not cheesy ones like we bought a few years ago,these tools are used all day everyday and should be able to hold up to hard work! We need a full time boxt truck for transportation of goods,not a cargo van on it's last legs,(the time saved loading on the dock with pallets and not by hand climbing around inside a van,moving individual boxes would pay for it in one year!) an outdoor forklift would speed up a lot of work done moving product,(again save hourly wage and pays for itself,paving the back lot would lead to safer environment,and faster access to shipping containers(again save hourly wages and risk of ankle knee injuries),instead of a bumpy dangerous puddle filled mess!
Put yourself in a single mom's shoes and try and make it on what you pay.Shameful is what it is right now.There are people working for more money in fast food than your skilled positions(who are the last persons to handle your product before it arrives at the customers).there is no public transportation and many employees live quite a few miles away,have to commute by car,(there is not enough people in this rural type area for carpools).there is a considerable cost to employees in the form of snow tires and winterization of transportation every cold season yearly as well,just to get to work is a dangerous life risking venture and even impossible at times.
This town shuts down at 5 pm and opens at 9am mostly,when we work long hours it would be considerate to have the option of an hour long lunch to run errands when there is no time before or after work.(local management has been dead set against it for unknown reasons.)
Our break areas are inadequate to say the least,the numbers of places to sit and eat is less than a third of our workforce,the kitchen is only made for a dozen or so people to share and lack of proper food storage areas like cabinetry and modern refrigerators(we have one newer household model,and one 1960s tiny dinosaur)the outdoor picnic tables are in areas exposed to incremental weather and wind,our watercooler are is filthy with dust settling on our drinking cups constantly,some form of overhead shelf would be nice and would help a great deal.
I know this is a lot to absorb or comprehend but this facility sucks and needs to improve a good deal to join the 21st century standard.
as far as information we were lied to about a great many things ,this needs to stop,you would not appreciate us lying to you.
and lastly please consider raising our pay rates to equal and fair industry standards,some of us will give you 110% when properly rewarded,if not this is a sinking ship and you're one rival away from losing all of your good employees to someone who will pay them what they need to survive,this has nearly happened already and you should have taken notice,but for some reason have not been forward thinking enough to realize this as a long term risk.InSitu is coming and will take every last one of your good employees from top to bottom away to greener pastures where they will thrive instead of wallow.

customer service job.

Customer Service (Former Employee) Commerce, CA

I worked at Billabong

Pros: got along with all my former co workers, every was always well organized Experience and skills to… Cons: not enough hours and money.THE WORK CAN BE HARD AND PHYSICAL… Advice to Senior Management: Temp jobs offer opportunities for you to build on your network, attend training events, conduct informational interviews and even, when appropriate, enhance your social life… More

Surf company trending toward becoming wal-mart model of effenciency and profits,at expence of employees at lower levels.

Anonymous Employee (Current Employee) The Dalles, OR

I have been working at Billabong

Pros: set schedule,enough work,nice area to live in, Cons: low pay,filthy working conditions,lack of facilities on site(enough bathrooms,break areas,lockers),forced overtime(white slavery),demanding physical work,lack of… Advice to Senior Management: step up and pay employees a living wage,you may have to skip on doubling up on your porsche payment once a year.but it will be… No, I would not recommend this company to a friend More
There are newer reviews on Billabong.

Worked for Billabong? Contribute to the Community!