Billabong

www.billabongcorporate.com
  www.billabongcorporate.com
There are newer employer reviews for Billabong

Wal-mart of surf companies,only Wal mart pays Dist.ctr employees better....

Current Employee - Picker/Packer in The Dalles, OR
Current Employee - Picker/Packer in The Dalles, OR

I have been working at Billabong

Pros

discounted product prices/set schedule/steady income/Paid time off during xmas for full time employees./vacation and sick leave/medical dental insurance

Cons

Dirty environment/extreme working conditions/lack proper facilities for hygiene and rest periods(dirty refreshment area/long hours/poor treatment of hourly employees/Bad ergonomics practiced/Lack of training or advancement/Located inside a prison property(no joke)/no exterior lighting at night or early morning(security hazard for employees esp. females)Pay scale starts at minimum wage with no future raises in sight.(long term full time employees were recently given a 3% cost of living bump after nearly 2 years of Wage freezing.( a double digit raise was promised and never followed up on,despite substantial growth and profit during a recession)Lack of understanding and how to knowledge has led to poor use of facility resources and space,logistics nightmares occur daily when trying to complete orders.New software has only decreased productivity,Selective favoritism has led to hardest working employees excluded from responsibility and less productive ones in charge of minor tasks which has led to de-motivation of hardest working employees.Turnover rate had lead to higher percentage of un-knowledgeable unskilled workforce.forced mandatory overtime weeks has led to bad morale among hourly employees who have other responsibilities away from work(kids/pets/families etc.)

Come get involved in person.See the talented people who have hoisted this company on their backs and carried it through tough times,and got the work done,Reward them and see if their attitude improves.Give them a chance to show you how it should be done,and all the places we can improve,
the budget for tools is pathetic,we are short of radios since we expanded our crewmwe need more new hand trucks and not cheesy ones like we bought a few years ago,these tools are used all day everyday and should be able to hold up to hard work! We need a full time boxt truck for transportation of goods,not a cargo van on it's last legs,(the time saved loading on the dock with pallets and not by hand climbing around inside a van,moving individual boxes would pay for it in one year!) an outdoor forklift would speed up a lot of work done moving product,(again save hourly wage and pays for itself,paving the back lot would lead to safer environment,and faster access to shipping containers(again save hourly wages and risk of ankle knee injuries),instead of a bumpy dangerous puddle filled mess!
Put yourself in a single mom's shoes and try and make it on what you pay.Shameful is what it is right now.There are people working for more money in fast food than your skilled positions(who are the last persons to handle your product before it arrives at the customers).there is no public transportation and many employees live quite a few miles away,have to commute by car,(there is not enough people in this rural type area for carpools).there is a considerable cost to employees in the form of snow tires and winterization of transportation every cold season yearly as well,just to get to work is a dangerous life risking venture and even impossible at times.
This town shuts down at 5 pm and opens at 9am mostly,when we work long hours it would be considerate to have the option of an hour long lunch to run errands when there is no time before or after work.(local management has been dead set against it for unknown reasons.)
Our break areas are inadequate to say the least,the numbers of places to sit and eat is less than a third of our workforce,the kitchen is only made for a dozen or so people to share and lack of proper food storage areas like cabinetry and modern refrigerators(we have one newer household model,and one 1960s tiny dinosaur)the outdoor picnic tables are in areas exposed to incremental weather and wind,our watercooler are is filthy with dust settling on our drinking cups constantly,some form of overhead shelf would be nice and would help a great deal.
I know this is a lot to absorb or comprehend but this facility sucks and needs to improve a good deal to join the 21st century standard.
as far as information we were lied to about a great many things ,this needs to stop,you would not appreciate us lying to you.
and lastly please consider raising our pay rates to equal and fair industry standards,some of us will give you 110% when properly rewarded,if not this is a sinking ship and you're one rival away from losing all of your good employees to someone who will pay them what they need to survive,this has nearly happened already and you should have taken notice,but for some reason have not been forward thinking enough to realize this as a long term risk.InSitu is coming and will take every last one of your good employees from top to bottom away to greener pastures where they will thrive instead of wallow.

31 Other Employee Reviews for Billabong (View Most Recent)

customer service job.

Former Employee - Customer Service in Commerce, CA
    Former Employee - Customer Service in Commerce, CA

I worked at Billabong

Pros

got along with all my former co workers, every was always well organized Experience and skills to put on your resume. A way to pay bills with the flexibility to manage personal or family responsibilities.

Cons

not enough hours and money.THE WORK CAN BE HARD AND PHYSICAL
    During busy seasons, you’ll inevitably experience more customers, more merchandise, more

Temp jobs offer opportunities for you to build on your network, attend training events, conduct informational interviews and even, when appropriate, enhance your social life with all the new coworkers you meet. Approach your temp experience as an opportunity to shine. Many regular employees see temps as people who don’t really care or who may even make their jobs harder. Show that you are willing to go above and beyond to get the job done. Offer to assist with projects to demonstrate your skills. This will help if you are later being considered for a permanent position.

Surf company trending toward becoming wal-mart model of effenciency and profits,at expence of employees at lower levels.

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in The Dalles, OR
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in The Dalles, OR

I have been working at Billabong

Pros

set schedule,enough work,nice area to live in,

Cons

low pay,filthy working conditions,lack of facilities on site(enough bathrooms,break areas,lockers),forced overtime(white slavery),demanding physical work,lack of security(located in prison property with no exterior lighting)no chance for advancement or learning new skills.

step up and pay employees a living wage,you may have to skip on doubling up on your porsche payment once a year.but it will be worth it in terms of morale ,productivity and pride.turnover will cease to be a cruel joke on trainers.overall quality of workers interested in the jobs will rise.
    we're not asking for the moon,just a reasonable wage that allows a person to support a household.
    as it stands 70% of the workforce makes minimum wage or a dollar over,and the people who got you this far don't make much more.highest known paid non-management personell is only paid 13.usd/hour. many people doing the exact same work are paid far less and as a result have suffered adverse health effects,undue stress due to financial situation,and many are on public assistance.most work a second job even after working a forced 50 hours a week at your slavepit.
    Stop being a company that only cares about profits at the expence of it's most vulnerable assets and do something,
    even pay for jobs would be a start,minimums for permanent employees ahould start at 11USD/hr and scale up to about 15usd/hour,that doesn't sound greedy or malicious on our part does it? if it does,then maybe other actions should be the avenue to success.

There are newer employer reviews for Billabong