Bio-Rad Laboratories

www.bio-rad.com
  www.bio-rad.com
There are newer employer reviews for Bio-Rad Laboratories

Very stable Medical Device company, a little old school.

Current Employee - Technical Writer in Benicia, CA
Current Employee - Technical Writer in Benicia, CA

I have been working at Bio-Rad Laboratories full-time (more than 5 years)

Pros

Very stable company with regular acquisitions, good product line and its biggest asset is its worker bees. Good benefits and decent compensation. Provides area for personal growth.

Cons

A little old school, very resistant to change technology wise. Sometime way too many reorgs and restructuring within division. Lack of training and reacquainting.

No peer or management review.

Adapt technology, welcome creative processes and new ideas.

168 Other Employee Reviews for Bio-Rad Laboratories (View Most Recent)

Good company to work for

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Hercules, CA

I worked at Bio-Rad Laboratories full-time (more than 5 years)

Pros

Profitable company with stable growth

Cons

Poor leadership skills in managers

Need to hire strategic managers

Working here has been detrimental to my career

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Hercules, CA

I worked at Bio-Rad Laboratories full-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

Very laid-back. So if you are looking for a company where you can "coast" - this is the firm for you.

Cons

Very poor to no growth opportunities. HR has a very poor reputation amongst the staff. Management team for the most part has grown with the company. Many have been with the firm 15+ years. While initially this seemed a good thing, they do not support new recruits, and there are few if any growth opportunities. I have seen and overheard Sr Managers attack the credibility of a new recruit. One of the division presidents gossips with sales people about others. I mean really. Seriously? These are Sr. Managers!!! the bar is pathetically low, if it exists at all. Success is based entirely on politics. Merit is no factor, nor is it appreciated or respected. Timelines are missed and no one cares, everything is sloppy, and there is zero accountability. I have never worked with such underwhelming performers. People just hanging out. People in positions of authority can yell at, harass, and create a hostile environment with impunity. Not only that, they get promoted!!! I have personally seen abuse first hand, senior management and HR are aware, and yet nothing is done. This company will take an A player and turn him/her into a C (if you want to survive you better become one) or the A's just quit. The stock is good now, but I don't see how this company is going to retain the stars that will take it forward. There are no growth opportunities except for a chosen few, no investment in training, and no investment in leadership training. My position was misrepresented. Had they truthfully portrayed my job and its responsibilities I would have never applied nor accepted it. Joining this firm has stalled my career. The position I occupy is nothing like the one I applied for. I am a senior level employee doing the job of an entry level worker. The people on my team are not valued, they do not get assigned work that is important, they are denied access to information (this is perhaps the biggest issue), they are denied access to training and development opportunties, and to top it all off the bosses get to yell, etc. , etc. Appalling behavior. They gossip about their own team! At what company is a manager who gossips about their own team taken seriously? Yet here - it flies. When I explain to friends what I experience on a daily basis they can not believe this company is in business.

Implement leadership training and develop a system to hold people who occupy these postions to a higher standard. Make them accountable, and ensure that they are upholding and representing the company's ethics and values. Lose the outdated hierarchal structure. Hierarchies are the refuge of those who can not lead. What is the standard for your managers? Respect the fact that a minion today may be a leader tomorrow - and wouldn't it be better if it was for you instead of a competitor?

There are newer employer reviews for Bio-Rad Laboratories