Former Manager

Former Employee - Mid Manager
Former Employee - Mid Manager

I worked at Bio-Reference Labs full-time for more than a year

Pros

flexible work hours and decent medical and vision plan. good dental plan. Meet some nice people and very talented individuals to develop long-term networking and friendships - mostly the lab techs and screening techs that actually do the work.

Cons

POWER STRUGGLE GALORE!!! faves even amongst uppers with lower/mid-level managers..

some departments are very territorial. Uppers quick to blame others for their mistakes but gobble up praise. Little concern for safety, federal and state regulations with some department heads. Quick to recruit like-minded managers to gang up on other managers who point out blatantly illegal practices and try to help fix them as a team. would rather feign ignorance because its convenient/cheaper than doing something right.

little to no advancement opportunities - had one upper tell me to "create a new job to advance to" but "it's not happening by the way". discourage you from leaving though. had one upper tell one of my employees "jokingly" they would give them a bad reference so they don't leave. employee came to me so shocked and disparaged I had to promise them if an interviewer called I would not let them ever speak to that upper.

don't appreciate most hard working individuals or help managers show appreciation for their employees. uppers focus on key few favorites that do whatever they want instead. more focused on saving money anywhere and pushing potential hires on you just because they'll accept "less money".

some uppers very inexperienced, very manipulative, no email etiquette and not afraid to try and embarrass you in front of others in email exchange.

major HR violations with some upper managers. not afraid to throw around some of your department's issues to other department heads before telling you because they find it entertaining. some will directly make fun of your employees right in front of them.

background check your uppers before hiring or promoting. ensure they have the proper degree and HR training and know-how of operations instead of those who can just save you the most money and trample on others

provide low/mid-level managers with the resources to give back to their staff. routinely search for rising talent amongst the bench-level workers.

train all managers on proper e-mail etiquette.

show loyalty to your staff. foster a community of TRUST. weed out those that do not practice basic good corporate values regardless of their rank.

Other Reviews for Bio-Reference Labs

A great job opportunity to work in a laboratory environment.

Former Employee - Lab Aide  in  Elmwood Park, NJ
    Former Employee - Lab Aide in Elmwood Park, NJ

I worked at Bio-Reference Labs full-time for more than a year

Pros

Leadership, values, flexibility and mentoring.

Cons

Rushes into decisions to quick, but in calm manner.

Continue to mentor individuals how to perform in a lab setting and to recommend for other departments.

An actually decent company, barring all the drama.

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee  in  Elmwood Park, NJ
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Elmwood Park, NJ

I have been working at Bio-Reference Labs full-time for less than a year

Pros

The work that I do here is actually very fascinating, I'm learning a lot of new things and am actually able to apply fundamentals and concepts learned in college. The work itself is easy physically. The amount of fulfillment i get is very high considering what we do here is very important and is tangibly relevant to actual people's lives ( many people may need laboratory testing and confirmation from these tests, as you can imagine may be very important to the concerned individuals and families concerned). This can actually be a very pleasant place to work.

Cons

As previously stated in the title and in addition, this can actually be a very pleasant place to work, if the dramatics and gossip are excluded.

More effective communication may help the overall company culture, as the work itself can be pleasant, if the company culture can be a bit more professional, this place can actually be very decent.

There are newer employer reviews for Bio-Reference Labs.

Worked for Bio-Reference Labs? Contribute to the Community!