There are newer employer reviews for BioMarin Pharmaceutical

Nice small company with a business-like atmosphere

I have been working at BioMarin Pharmaceutical

Pros

Good people, good products. You're doing mostly orphan drug work for small, underserved patient populations, which can give you a pretty good feeling when compared with cranking out yet another drug for blood pressure or cancer. Decent atmosphere, but very business-like. There's not a lot of joking around or playing around - people come to work and go home.

Cons

Management often sets unreasonable timelines, creating unnecessary anxiety within study teams. I don't feel that senior management does a great job of communicating what they want at the start of a project, and I haven't seen any evidence of an overall company plan that we're all working toward. Molecules exist in their own little worlds, and teams seem to be in a constant battle for resources and attention. Also, it's a little quiet - they're breaking out of their shell as a small company into something bigger, but it still has the attitude of a small company (ie, poor work-life balance, very serious, expecting employees to basically give up their lives to get the work done).

I understand we want to drive drugs to market, but setting unrealistic timelines can cause real problems when programs feel pressured to move forward without a fuller understanding of the molecule. You can't go into phase III when phase I is still up in the air, and telling a team to just "do it" won't magically make it happen. Someone at the top needs to take a real look at everything this company does and come up with a reasonable, realistic business plan, and then communicate this plan downward so that people know where their priorities should lie. A little bit of upper management input would go a long way toward smoothing out the rough patches.

reviews filtered by

Disappointing considering its potential

I have been working at BioMarin Pharmaceutical

Pros

Work-life balance (but not for everyone)
    Good Benefits
    Great fellow workers
    We have a direct connection to the patients we serve (Orphan Drug Co.)

Cons

Has grown too fast and leadership seems clueless
    Turnover is becoming a problem
    Development and growth are NOT encouraged, rather the opposite
    Morale is very low

Wake up, free lunch and bagels do not build morale. Real leadership does

Growing pains, but much potential

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Novato, CA
    Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Novato, CA

I worked at BioMarin Pharmaceutical

Pros

- Highly competitive salary
    - Good work / life balance
    - Good culture (friendly, smart people who are fun to work with)
    - Company is very patient-focused. You can really see the results of your work.
    - Great perks (catered lunches, travel, ESPP, medical, dental, etc.)
    - Company's pipeline of drug candidates has a lot of potential.

Cons

- Cost of living in the Bay Area and Marin County especially is very high. Many people have long commutes (45min+) to live in more affordable areas.
    - Huge growing pains. Almost 50% growth in headcount in last few years.
    - Faces organizational issues of a company twice its size, such as lack of communication between departments, many "managers" with no one reporting to them, and unclear advancement for entry or mid-level positions. Trying to get things done can be very challenging.

A lot of work needs to be done to the organizational structure while the company is still small enough to do it.

There are newer employer reviews for BioMarin Pharmaceutical