Don't feel married to the company: If you do a good ethical job, you could be joining the ranks of the unemployed soon.

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee  in  Novato, CA
Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Novato, CA

I worked at BioMarin Pharmaceutical

Pros

Experience. Paying mortgage. Bringing business ideas forward.

Cons

"Old boys' club" trumps fair play . Ethical misbehaviors by higher management overlooked. Lack of qualifications evident in senior personnel in some departments. Adverse work environment if you are ethical & fair.

Solicit feedback from employees who complain about unfair treatment. The truth will empower you to make changes and improve the environment; otherwise history will repeat itself. The annual review is sometimes used as a form of psychological abuse. How do you know how fair or unfair your directors/VPs are?

Other Reviews for BioMarin Pharmaceutical

Nice small company with a business-like atmosphere

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee  in  Novato, CA
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Novato, CA

I have been working at BioMarin Pharmaceutical

Pros

Good people, good products. You're doing mostly orphan drug work for small, underserved patient populations, which can give you a pretty good feeling when compared with cranking out yet another drug for blood pressure or cancer. Decent atmosphere, but very business-like. There's not a lot of joking around or playing around - people come to work and go home.

Cons

Management often sets unreasonable timelines, creating unnecessary anxiety within study teams. I don't feel that senior management does a great job of communicating what they want at the start of a project, and I haven't seen any evidence of an overall company plan that we're all working toward. Molecules exist in their own little worlds, and teams seem to be in a constant battle for resources and attention. Also, it's a little quiet - they're breaking out of their shell as a small company into something bigger, but it still has the attitude of a small company (ie, poor work-life balance, very serious, expecting employees to basically give up their lives to get the work done).

I understand we want to drive drugs to market, but setting unrealistic timelines can cause real problems when programs feel pressured to move forward without a fuller understanding of the molecule. You can't go into phase III when phase I is still up in the air, and telling a team to just "do it" won't magically make it happen. Someone at the top needs to take a real look at everything this company does and come up with a reasonable, realistic business plan, and then communicate this plan downward so that people know where their priorities should lie. A little bit of upper management input would go a long way toward smoothing out the rough patches.

Disappointing considering its potential

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee  in  Novato, CA
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Novato, CA

I have been working at BioMarin Pharmaceutical

Pros

Work-life balance (but not for everyone)
    Good Benefits
    Great fellow workers
    We have a direct connection to the patients we serve (Orphan Drug Co.)

Cons

Has grown too fast and leadership seems clueless
    Turnover is becoming a problem
    Development and growth are NOT encouraged, rather the opposite
    Morale is very low

Wake up, free lunch and bagels do not build morale. Real leadership does

There are newer employer reviews for BioMarin Pharmaceutical.

Worked for BioMarin Pharmaceutical? Contribute to the Community!