BioMarin Pharmaceutical

www.bmrn.com

A Great Place To Work. Just Don't Do It In Clin Ops!

Anonymous Employee (Former Employee) Novato, CA

Pros1. The best thing about working for BMRN was the benefits package! They actually pay your yearly health insurance premiums.
2. Second best would be their employees, management excluded. I can and will only give feedback on BMRN's Clinical Operations Department, as it was the only department that I worked in. BMRN's CRAs are the best, most knowledgeable, and hardest working associates in the business. They are dedicated employees who work very hard because they respect their profession and really feel that they are making a difference in other people's lives.
3. JJ. JJ Bienaime is the best thing to have happened to BMRN. With him as CEO, it really boosted morale, and gave BMRN the confidence the company definitely was missing.

ConsOne of the major downsides of working in Clinical is definitely the senior management. The Senior Director, an MBA, lacks basic communication as well as people skills! I can't decide if this individual is afraid of people, or if this person just doesn't know how to relate to others. The AD is very mediocre, bordering incompetent. This person enjoys busy work, and happily assigns it others as well. A complete lack of vision and confidence is pretty dangerous for a biotech company that is often compared to Genentech in the early years.

I believe it is important for a company to advance their own employees through promotion. However, there is great disservice when individuals are promoted just to fill a vacancy. This disrupts working relationships and balance. What is apparent is that it's very hard for BMRN to attract excellent talent because there are so many biotech companies in the Bay Area. Not too many are willing to make that commute across the bridge(s) to get to Marin to work.

Advice to Senior ManagementI would say to the VPs of BMRN to take a very close look at the management of the Clinical Operations Department. The turnover rate is too high. People don't leave companies. They leave managers.

Commercial dfevelopment

Commercial Development Director (Former Employee) São Paulo, São Paulo (Brazil)

I worked at BioMarin Pharmaceutical full-time for more than 5 years

Pros: nice produts and interesting niche Cons: poor senior management at headquarter Advice to Senior Management: more delegation, less micromanagemnt No, I would not recommend this company to a friend More

I led the start-up of BioMarin operations in Latin America

Senior Director; Latin America (Former Employee) Buenos Aires (Argentina)

I worked at BioMarin Pharmaceutical full-time for more than 5 years

Pros: Interesting niche, great products, good people Cons: Bad senior management, lack of support outside US Advice to Senior Management: good company to work for, nice opportunities in US and… Yes, I would recommend this company to a friend – I'm optimistic about the outlook for this company… More
There are newer reviews on BioMarin Pharmaceutical.

Worked for BioMarin Pharmaceutical? Contribute to the Community!