There are newer employer reviews for BioMarin Pharmaceutical

Neutral working conditions for a company with fast expansion plans

Current Employee - Senior Scientist in Novato, CA
Current Employee - Senior Scientist in Novato, CA

I have been working at BioMarin Pharmaceutical full-time (More than 8 years)

Pros

flex work hours, friendly workers.

Cons

career opportunities are somewhat limited

0 reviews filtered by
  • Any Status

Don't feel married to the company: If you do a good ethical job, you could be joining the ranks of the unemployed soon.

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Novato, CA
    Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Novato, CA

I worked at BioMarin Pharmaceutical

Pros

Experience. Paying mortgage. Bringing business ideas forward.

Cons

"Old boys' club" trumps fair play . Ethical misbehaviors by higher management overlooked. Lack of qualifications evident in senior personnel in some departments. Adverse work environment if you are ethical & fair.

Advice to Management

Solicit feedback from employees who complain about unfair treatment. The truth will empower you to make changes and improve the environment; otherwise history will repeat itself. The annual review is sometimes used as a form of psychological abuse. How do you know how fair or unfair your directors/VPs are?

Nice small company with a business-like atmosphere

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Novato, CA
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Novato, CA

I have been working at BioMarin Pharmaceutical

Pros

Good people, good products. You're doing mostly orphan drug work for small, underserved patient populations, which can give you a pretty good feeling when compared with cranking out yet another drug for blood pressure or cancer. Decent atmosphere, but very business-like. There's not a lot of joking around or playing around - people come to work and go home.

Cons

Management often sets unreasonable timelines, creating unnecessary anxiety within study teams. I don't feel that senior management does a great job of communicating what they want at the start of a project, and I haven't seen any evidence of an overall company plan that we're all working toward. Molecules exist in their own little worlds, and teams seem to be in a constant battle for resources and attention. Also, it's a little quiet - they're breaking out of their shell as a small company into something bigger, but it still has the attitude of a small company (ie, poor work-life balance, very serious, expecting employees to basically give up their lives to get the work done).

Advice to Management

I understand we want to drive drugs to market, but setting unrealistic timelines can cause real problems when programs feel pressured to move forward without a fuller understanding of the molecule. You can't go into phase III when phase I is still up in the air, and telling a team to just "do it" won't magically make it happen. Someone at the top needs to take a real look at everything this company does and come up with a reasonable, realistic business plan, and then communicate this plan downward so that people know where their priorities should lie. A little bit of upper management input would go a long way toward smoothing out the rough patches.