Biogen Idec
www.biogenidec.com Cambridge, MA 5000+ Employees

Look beyond the pretty facade

Individual Contributor (Current Employee)
Cambridge, MA

ProsThe company has had a ton of success over the past 2 years. It a very exciting place to work and the salary, stock, benefits are great.

There is a new focus on science and the company is throwing resources at R&D.

If you're in the right group, you will see a lot of flexibility in work arrangements (WFH, telecommuting, etc)

ConsManagement is, for the most part, awful. There is constant infighting, finger pointing, and political jockeying. Also, the bureaucracy is both crushing and worthless. A good 30% of the staff are here only because they are too vested in the stock plan (golden handcuffs).

If you are applying, have a long timeframe. HR is slow and borderline useless. Expect rude comments, arrogance, and lack of communication and follow-through. In my experience, I have seen 3-6 months from first interview to offer. You will also get low balled in salary and title.

Advice to Senior ManagementLook past your inner circle. The duct tape and bandaids are starting to come apart.

Still inventing itself; especially middle management

Clinical Operations (Former Employee)
    Cambridge, MA

I worked at Biogen Idec full-time for more than a year

Pros: Great benefits; really smart people that are great to work… Cons: VP and Director level management not strong or experienced enough to implement senior management vision; many promotions based… Advice to Senior Management: Boys club mentality is not a great model for growth and employee satisfaction - have the… No, I would not recommend this company to a friend More

Looks great from outside the company...

Senior Manager (Current Employee)

I have been working at Biogen Idec full-time for more than 8 years

Pros: Great salaries, benefits, some wonderfully smart, dedicated people work at… Cons: The company has become very political, recent hires are interested only in lots of money and promotions. Some… Advice to Senior Management: Go out and get to know the people who are "in the trenches". Realize that some people who are talented individual contributors need… No, I would not recommend this company to a friend – I'm optimistic about the outlook for this company… More
There are newer reviews on Biogen Idec.

Worked for Biogen Idec? Contribute to the Community!

Glassdoor is your free inside look at Biogen Idec reviews and ratings — including employee satisfaction and approval rating for Biogen Idec CEO George A. Scangos. All reviews posted anonymously by Biogen Idec employees.