There are newer employer reviews for Birmingham-Southern College (BSC)

Not A Place For A Serious Career

I worked at Birmingham-Southern College (BSC) full-time for less than a year

Pros

The Director I worked for was very caring and I respected her.

Cons

The hiring process was very disjointed and chaotic. No one in the HR office seemed to know what paper work was required and I was called to the HR office multiple times over a week to complete a process that could have been finished in 20 minutes.

I was not told how much I would be making until a week after I was hired even though I asked.

The office I was working in, which I have over 15 verifiable years of experience, was very much undermined constantly by the employees talking about the director's lack of knowledge. There was no loyalty to the director or to the school at all. I heard terrible things from other employees about the director, the students, the bad reputation of the school over the only week I worked there. (Sadly most of them turned out to be true.)

I was "let go" after one week because I was told that an outside firm would be taking over what was my job.

The campus is much mismanaged and employees are apathetic with low morale. No employee is willing to step outside their little world or office to help students or new personnel - it's always "someone in another office's job."

I did not receive the check I was owed for the one week I worked until a month later.

1. Make sure employees know how to answer questions outside their narrow, little office perspectives.
2. Make sure your workers are paid what they are worth and when they are supposed to be paid.
3. Find out the why the problems in HR are so prolific and why there seems to be no communication or little knowledge of the hiring process there.

6 Other Employee Reviews for Birmingham-Southern College (BSC) (View Most Recent)

Birmingham-Southern College

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee  in  Birmingham, AL
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Birmingham, AL

I have been working at Birmingham-Southern College (BSC)

Pros

Beautiful campus/outdoor surroundings; ample amount of vacation and sick leave time; great work-life balance.

Cons

Poor leadership and communication across offices; low salaries across positions/departments; benefits are avearage and are soon to be cut; policies and procedures/checks & balances across campus departments are needed! Basic operating resources are often scarce; administrative buildings as well as academic buildings are in a much needed state of repair!

Hire leaders wiith a true and proven leadership/management record in higher education; implement sound business practices and checks and balances and review policies every semester; survey/measure everthing and evaluate findings twice a year (both the qualitative and the quantitative).

A long career that was very positive until recently when the college became marred by mismanagement and apathy.

I have been working at Birmingham-Southern College (BSC)

Pros

There are far fewer pros now, than there were a few months ago. Benefits are still decent, but not great. Flexibility in work schedules is very good. Friendliness of staff is very well received.

Cons

Pay is far below the area market pay for similar positions and below that of other ACS member institutions. A rift was created by the previous administration (and further propagated by the current one) between faculty and staff. There is little to no transparency with the administration. Dollars are spent are fluff and non-revenue generating programs and departments whilst those areas that support the college were either axed or their budgets reduced to minimal amounts.

History has proven that an academic, with no business experience, makes a poor leader and when the system of checks and balances between the board of trustees and the administration fails, the faculty, staff, and students pay the price. Nowhere is this more apparent or relevant than at BSC. Is progress being made? Perhaps, but it is painfully slow is not being equally distributed. The administration should refrain from lip service and take concrete action to rectify the situation by refunding and removing the furlough requirement and then restoring salaries and benefits to all employees, not just a certain segment.

There are newer employer reviews for Birmingham-Southern College (BSC)

Worked for Birmingham-Southern College (BSC)? Contribute to the Community!