Black Duck Software

www.blackducksoftware.com

Is more a 'business' then a 'tech company'.

Anonymous Employee (Former Employee) Waltham, MA

ProsBest thing about Black Duck: They are open to new ideas, and if you're willing to spearhead a project, they'll let you do it. They have new offices which are very nice, and in general most of the people are neutral-to-happy to be around (not a lot of people in bad moods.)

ConsOverwork. A typical week at BDS is 50+ hours, and in some cases pushing 70 - and for that amount of time to be put in, you wouldn't expect sub-standard benefits and below market pay, but you'll find it. They're happy to overwork their employees if they can, but when said employees quit they'll replace them with 2-3 people. There's very little effort to retain talent, and it's very clear that they do not value the talent they have. There's a mentality that if you don't work from 6am to 6pm you're not working 'hard enough', and they keep minor office supplies under lock and key.

There's not a lot of trust. That, plus the hours and the lack of benefits (a sluggish vesting program, no matched 401k, no matched charitable giving, no swag, no free snacks/drinks, none of the Boston 'tech company' typical benefits) make it a better bet to look elsewhere.

Advice to Senior ManagementCare about your employees, and put as much effort into retaining talent as you do acquiring it!

Awesome Experience so far

Software Engineering Intern (Current Employee) Burlington, MA

I have been working at Black Duck Software as an intern for less than a year

Pros: Awesome atmosphere, helpful and highly skilled coworkers to name a very few. The best aspect of my internship here so far has been that this… Cons: None, really except that maybe the hourly rate that they pay interns, even though very competitive esp. with… Advice to Senior Management: Keep Rocking! (Can you guys please repair the XBOX (read:… Yes, I would recommend this company to a friend – I'm optimistic about the outlook for this company… More

Growing company that is a great place to work and has great people to work with

Accounting Manager (Current Employee) Burlington, MA

I have been working at Black Duck Software

Pros: The company has a great team atmosphere, great people to work with, management is very open about the plan of the company and keeps employees… Cons: The company is growing quickly, so there is always work to… Yes, I would recommend this company to a friend More
There are newer reviews on Black Duck Software.

Worked for Black Duck Software? Contribute to the Community!