Black Duck Software

www.blackducksoftware.com
  www.blackducksoftware.com
There are newer employer reviews for Black Duck Software

Held back by cheap head of Finance and a silo-building mentality.

Former Employee - Senior Systems Administrator in Waltham, MA
Former Employee - Senior Systems Administrator in Waltham, MA

I worked at Black Duck Software full-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

There are no pros to working in IT here. If they make you an offer, decline with prejudice. Tell them you'd rather work somewhere that cares about their employees and offers the perks of the modern software industry.

Cons

Preface
This review was removed due to a need to review it's contents and ensure accuracy. After reviewing my notes, I am confident that the cons below were accurate at the time I was employed.

Money
The CFO is extremely tight-fisted. He has the final say on all raises, purchases, expenses, travel, bonuses and in fact anything to do with money. To give you an idea of the scale, this is a guy who wanted to start charging employee's for coffee whenever the price of K-cups increased.

Culture/Perks
The head of HR (recently let go) was fantastic, but many of her efforts to raise the culture to pro-level were stifled by a lack of funds. Working from home? Not a chance since the CFO's idea of a good employee is one who shows up early and leaves late and always works from the office. BYOD? No way, we don't trust you and your devices, even if you work in IT and likely have the safest devices of all the employees. Want a Mac? Too bad, they're '[not corporate devices]', 'they're too expensive', even though most IT groups at companies writing linux-based software see them as the best-in-class, most well-supported, linux/BSD-based hardware available. Game room? Oddly they had one, but time spent in there was counted and then later subtly held against you.

Career advancement
Good luck if you're in IT. The structure is small and the department reports, oddly I think, to the CFO not Engineering (who is the main internal customer). This means there's nowhere to go after you get to the manager level. Speaking of manager's, 1 left while I was still employed, and, in my opinion, met with so many restrictions to growth that they concluded pursuing a career there wasn't an option. A 2nd manager left after I did for, I assume, similar reasons. In addition, with little to no available funds for raises, title upgrades are meaningless (unless you're using them to find your next job in which case they're great).

Instead of heading for yet another round of financing (we had a few while I was there), fire the cheap CFO and rout out the silo-builders and hire people who want to make BlackDuck great. Experience is not worth someone whose greed prevents progress.

Find other ways to make the numbers work (as opposed to constant cost cutting and saying "no"). For instance, stop buying other products/companies and focus on making a really great product, not 3 or 4 mediocre products.

Hire a team to focus on culture and atmosphere; remember, happy employees who feel valued, nurtured, well-compensated, and cared about are a stronger, greater resource than all the experienced executives in the world.

Want an example of that last one?

Here's some free advice: look at Zappos. Employee happiness/engagement/interest/whatever-you-want-to-call-it is a top priority, not money or customer pipeline.

22 Other Employee Reviews for Black Duck Software (View Most Recent)

experience was okok...I would say good to start with but no future being there for a long time

I have been working at Black Duck Software full-time

Pros

The HR was really helpful...She made me fell at home..

Cons

No future if you stay for long in this company

Nothing

Is more a 'business' then a 'tech company'.

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Waltham, MA
    Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Waltham, MA

I worked at Black Duck Software full-time (more than an year)

Pros

Best thing about Black Duck: They are open to new ideas, and if you're willing to spearhead a project, they'll let you do it. They have new offices which are very nice, and in general most of the people are neutral-to-happy to be around (not a lot of people in bad moods.)

Cons

Overwork. A typical week at BDS is 50+ hours, and in some cases pushing 70 - and for that amount of time to be put in, you wouldn't expect sub-standard benefits and below market pay, but you'll find it. They're happy to overwork their employees if they can, but when said employees quit they'll replace them with 2-3 people. There's very little effort to retain talent, and it's very clear that they do not value the talent they have. There's a mentality that if you don't work from 6am to 6pm you're not working 'hard enough', and they keep minor office supplies under lock and key.

There's not a lot of trust. That, plus the hours and the lack of benefits (a sluggish vesting program, no matched 401k, no matched charitable giving, no swag, no free snacks/drinks, none of the Boston 'tech company' typical benefits) make it a better bet to look elsewhere.

Care about your employees, and put as much effort into retaining talent as you do acquiring it!

There are newer employer reviews for Black Duck Software