Black Duck Software

www.blackducksoftware.com
  www.blackducksoftware.com
There are newer employer reviews for Black Duck Software

Great Job for Working Mom!

Current Employee - Marketing in Burlington, MA
Current Employee - Marketing in Burlington, MA

I have been working at Black Duck Software full-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

As a new mom, I wasn't sure how I was going to balance work responsibilities with parenthood, but Black Duck has made it easier and better than I thought possible! From our CFO and CMO to my peers and colleagues, I've been shown nothing less than profound kindness and flexibility. My job is demanding (in a good way), rewarding, and I work with a wonderful team!

Cons

As with any fast-growing company, there's a lot of work to do, but I don't see that as a Con, particularly when you feel appreciated for the things you do.

22 Other Employee Reviews for Black Duck Software (View Most Recent)

Held back by cheap head of Finance and a silo-building mentality.

Former Employee - Senior Systems Administrator in Waltham, MA
    Former Employee - Senior Systems Administrator in Waltham, MA

I worked at Black Duck Software full-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

There are no pros to working in IT here. If they make you an offer, decline with prejudice. Tell them you'd rather work somewhere that cares about their employees and offers the perks of the modern software industry.

Cons

Preface
    This review was removed due to a need to review it's contents and ensure accuracy. After reviewing my notes, I am confident that the cons below were accurate at the time I was employed.

Money
    The CFO is extremely tight-fisted. He has the final say on all raises, purchases, expenses, travel, bonuses and in fact anything to do with money. To give you an idea of the scale, this is a guy who wanted to start charging employee's for coffee whenever the price of K-cups increased.

Culture/Perks
    The head of HR (recently let go) was fantastic, but many of her efforts to raise the culture to pro-level were stifled by a lack of funds. Working from home? Not a chance since the CFO's idea of a good employee is one who shows up early and leaves late and always works from the office. BYOD? No way, we don't trust you and your devices, even if you work in IT and likely have the safest devices of all the employees. Want a Mac? Too bad, they're '[not corporate devices]', 'they're too expensive', even though most IT groups at companies writing linux-based software see them as the best-in-class, most well-supported, linux/BSD-based hardware available. Game room? Oddly they had one, but time spent in there was counted and then later subtly held against you.

Career advancement
    Good luck if you're in IT. The structure is small and the department reports, oddly I think, to the CFO not Engineering (who is the main internal customer). This means there's nowhere to go after you get to the manager level. Speaking of manager's, 1 left while I was still employed, and, in my opinion, met with so many restrictions to growth that they concluded pursuing a career there wasn't an option. A 2nd manager left after I did for, I assume, similar reasons. In addition, with little to no available funds for raises, title upgrades are meaningless (unless you're using them to find your next job in which case they're great).

Instead of heading for yet another round of financing (we had a few while I was there), fire the cheap CFO and rout out the silo-builders and hire people who want to make BlackDuck great. Experience is not worth someone whose greed prevents progress.

Find other ways to make the numbers work (as opposed to constant cost cutting and saying "no"). For instance, stop buying other products/companies and focus on making a really great product, not 3 or 4 mediocre products.

Hire a team to focus on culture and atmosphere; remember, happy employees who feel valued, nurtured, well-compensated, and cared about are a stronger, greater resource than all the experienced executives in the world.

Want an example of that last one?

Here's some free advice: look at Zappos. Employee happiness/engagement/interest/whatever-you-want-to-call-it is a top priority, not money or customer pipeline.

experience was okok...I would say good to start with but no future being there for a long time

I have been working at Black Duck Software full-time

Pros

The HR was really helpful...She made me fell at home..

Cons

No future if you stay for long in this company

Nothing