Black Hills Corporation

www.blackhillscorp.com

Competitive benefits and compensation but poor management and culture.

Senior Telecom Engineer (Former Employee) Rapid City, SD

ProsThe salary and benefits are very competitive, and are actually better than most companies are. Good percent matching to 401K; good profit sharing plan; good health insurance.

ConsManagement (in IT) does not communicate well at all.
No training opportunities despite the opposite being referenced on its corporate and career websites.
No employee recognition and no team building processes.
The call center (customer service department) was also a low priority to management so there systems and processes are behind the curve in technology and ability.
Corporate management thinks that shareholder value is the absolute most important above all else (including quality customer service).
This is still a "good, ole boy company" and has not advanced along with 21st century ideologies; in other words, getting a corner office is more important than doing quality work and providing top-notch customer service.

Advice to Senior ManagementDiversify your management in executive and in IT to bring in modern skills sets and abilities. In addition, the effort placed on "corporate diversity" is laughable at best, and actually borders on incompetent. I recommend bringing in a (proven) outside consulting firm to assist the company in learning how to move into the 21st century, and realize that energy based on coal is not the only path forward.

All in all a good place to work

Anonymous Employee (Former Employee)

I worked at Black Hills Corporation for more than 5 years

Pros: Compensation, benefits, mission, vision, values Cons: Work life balance is not easy to attain, not many… No, I would not recommend this company to a friend More

A committed team of professionals who strive to meet the needs of their stakeholders.

I have been working at Black Hills Corporation full-time for more than 3 years

Pros: This company works at a fast pace and provides a lot of learning opportunity for someone who is curious… Cons: Most of us are still figuring out how to adapt to significant changes in systems and processes;… Yes, I would recommend this company to a friend – I'm optimistic about the outlook for this company… More
There are newer reviews on Black Hills Corporation.

Worked for Black Hills Corporation? Contribute to the Community!