There are newer employer reviews for Black & Decker

An ok company

Former Employee - Sales Representative  in  Flatwoods, WV
Former Employee - Sales Representative in Flatwoods, WV

I worked at Black & Decker

Pros

Fun atmosphere, allowed to check out display tools for personal use if needed, if you love tools, working with your hands, and dealing with customers up front as they walk through the door, you'll like working here.

Cons

Pressure to sell, too few hours

Hire more people!

51 Other Employee Reviews for Black & Decker (View Most Recent)

Mechanical Design Engineer

Current Employee - Mechanical Design Engineer  in  Foothill Ranch, CA
    Current Employee - Mechanical Design Engineer in Foothill Ranch, CA

I have been working at Black & Decker

Pros

The environment is nice, it's not a stuck up place to work. There is tons of transparency from management. There is lots of exposure to different and interesting processes and projects have fun challenges. There is a lot of opportunity to work cross-functionally and see other parts of the business. Benefits are pretty decent and the people are generally nice.

Cons

A lot is expected from you, which is sometimes OK, but when night after night of staying late goes by, it quickly gets old. Promotions are very subjective and, frankly, not (always) given when deserved. It has an unfortunately true reputation of not paying well for technical positions and there is no bonus program for those outside of marketing and sales. It is near impossible to get fired, so therefore you end up working with some "fat" that never gets trimmed.

Take a look at salaries not just in the area, but statewide. Modify the salaries based on that. HR should take specific pulse checks (not the company wide check). Openness is "welcomed" and most managers have open door policies, but an annual 10 minute sit-down with the HR person for that department would seem more valuable than anything else that is being done.

I have loved working here!

Current Employee - Chargeback Analyst  in  Lake Forest, CA
    Current Employee - Chargeback Analyst in Lake Forest, CA

I have been working at Black & Decker

Pros

Great team atmosphere. Much opportunity for growth and advancement if you work hard. Great work/ life balance. No micromanaging (in my team). Empowerment to make educated decisions. Don't see an abundance of arrogance from top level.

Cons

Coming into the company, it is rare that one receives acceptable training (if any). You are pretty much left to your own devices to "figure it out". Very com

I actually think my manager is close to perfect. Great mentor.

There are newer employer reviews for Black & Decker

Worked for Black & Decker? Contribute to the Community!