Black & Veatch

There are newer employer reviews for Black & Veatch

Professional Company that Rewards and Grows Professionals

Current Employee - Electrical Engineer IV in Portland, OR
Current Employee - Electrical Engineer IV in Portland, OR

I have been working at Black & Veatch full-time (more than 5 years)

Pros

A positive attitude and strong work ethic will take someone to the top in a short time. I've personally recieved four promotions in five years. The company is filled with highly analytical people who work strategically for the benefit of the organization. There are lots of training opportunities and advancement possibilities for those who raise their hands. B&V cares about its people and works tirelessly to make sure people are treated ethically and fairly.

Cons

B&V, like other engineering company's, is a consulting firm. The drive to offer the best service to it's clients sometimes overshadows people appreciation initiatives. Not that people aren't important, but sometimes we're so busy getting the work done, we forget to celebrate our successes.

Upper management is conservative, fair, and ethical. However, an open door policy would benefit the organization greatly. Communication makes a difference, and B&V could learn more from not only treating everyone like they are special, but listening to what people have to say.

222 Other Employee Reviews for Black & Veatch (View Most Recent)

Professional culture not employee-friendly.

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Kansas City, MO
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Kansas City, MO

I have been working at Black & Veatch as a contractor (less than a year)

Pros

Fair physical office environment, nice peers

Cons

Low pay, money-hungry middle management

Good company to work for as a field professional.

Current Employee - Field Engineer in Overland Park, KS
    Current Employee - Field Engineer in Overland Park, KS

I have been working at Black & Veatch full-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

Black & Veatch provides a decent salary along with decent perdiem rates for their field based professionals.

While control and direction exists, I've never felt like there is someone looking over my shoulder or trying to micromanage a job I am working on.

I've always been provided what I needed to finish a job when I asked for it. They do a very good job of making sure projects get finished on time and properly, an important thing for a project based company.

Cons

The year end review system here is more of a waste of time than anything else. Other than a few top performers all people get basically the same year end score, regardless of effort, results, experience, etc.

Upper management (and apparently the CIO as well) don't like new technology, or maybe they are just afraid of it. The company is always way behind the curve on upgrading to new hardware or software solutions. It's 2012 and they just started providing field personal with cheap smart phones.

There are newer employer reviews for Black & Veatch