Black & Veatch

www.bv.com
  www.bv.com
There are newer employer reviews for Black & Veatch

Attention to detail, Big growth, hard working company

Current Employee - Senior Project Manager in Overland Park, KS
Current Employee - Senior Project Manager in Overland Park, KS

I have been working at Black & Veatch full-time (more than an year)

Pros

The company has a vision for growth that is supported by a plan and funding. Management is focused on value based management which means that most events of any magnitude have a business case. The culture is friendly and professional. Very conservative. I like how proficiency matters and I have see more than a few employees with decades of experience still contributing. I like it here.

Cons

Not sure. Some people have complained that change has not occured fast enough in some areas but some of these complaints do not support a business case. In other words, I can think of a million ways to improve things but can we still make a profit after we pay for that change? There are some challenges with business alignment in terms of process and technology that need to be sorted but it isn't anything profound. And yes, people at Black&Veatch work hard - some do not care for the level of effort that is sometimes required or lack of control at the individual level. It's an engineering company designed to build macro projects - so it really isn't a place for rogue independents. This is a teaming environment.

N/A. Solid profit margins, growth, good reputation in the industry = job security.

208 Other Employee Reviews for Black & Veatch (View Most Recent)

Good company, bad employees.

Current Employee - Senior Electrical Engineer in Saint Louis, MO
    Current Employee - Senior Electrical Engineer in Saint Louis, MO

I have been working at Black & Veatch full-time (more than 8 years)

Pros

OK if you want to apply your trade.

Cons

They hire dullards, especially in the structural engineer ranks. Of course, I'm not sure that's a real profession.

Raise the bar and end the nepotism. Have a plan in place when your stimulus projects end,

Knowledge is Power

Current Employee - Civil Engineer in Overland Park, KS
    Current Employee - Civil Engineer in Overland Park, KS

I have been working at Black & Veatch full-time (more than 5 years)

Pros

HQ is located in nice area that has many popular shops and good neighborhoods nearby. Some positions allow for world travel. Black & Veatch does offer continuing education (partial) reimbursement for those who want to go back to earn a higher degree.

Cons

The Black & Veatch benefit package is very basic. The pay for new grads and experienced engineers is overall low to medium unless you work in a hard-to-fill position. Overal work environment at HQ tends to be poor to very poor. Black & Veatch culture is extremely political, which tends to benefit those who talk-the-talk but know/do very little.

Treat your professionals as if they matter; they are your most important resource. Reinstate employee programs like the PeopleFirst program that was abandoned so long ago. Respect and dignity go a long way in creating a good work environment. B&V can be great again!

There are newer employer reviews for Black & Veatch