Black & Veatch

www.bv.com

Competitive with Industry Standards... Mostly

Civil Engineer II (Current Employee) Overland Park, KS

ProsSome of the benefits.
Flexibility of work hours.

ConsThe benefits are not consistent across the board for all job families. Even though B&V is employee owned, employee's are not eligible for the annual incentive plan (AIP) until they reach a certain job level, unlike the employee owned competition. Many job titles/levels have limited sick leave but others do not.
Business casual work attire is ok, but it would be better if we were allowed to "dress for your day" so those who actually have meeting with management or clients can come in business wear as needed and those of us who never have higher level meetings can come to work and be comfortable.
The technology, work station equipment, and everything else that should make your job easier is always behind.
The Telecom division does not offer the 9/80 schedule and is slow to "roll over" their contract professionals to be core employees.
Professionals are expected to provide their own PPE's that are required beyond a hard hat, ear plugs, a reflective vest, and basic safety glasses (i.e. boots and prescription safety glasses are your out-of-pocket responsibility).
Employee-owned, but you only get the perks if you are at or above a certain job level.
They are slow to adjust your job title when you reach experience milestones (like obtaining your P.E. license or after so many years on the job). Which in turn affects your eligibility for the AIP.
The performance review process is a joke. You pick who you solicit feedback from, so of course everyone will pick friends who will give them a good review. Then, to top it off, no matter what anyone says about you or how well you do the work, it's virtually impossible to receive a "1" rating (out of 3). It's more about who you know. This makes it hard for people to want to be the best they can be since they will never be rewarded for their hard work at the end of the year. It's like B&V strives for being... mediocre.
The Telecom division department heads do not allow uncompensated personal time unless there are extreme conditions and you have already used your vacation time, even if the work load at the time is slow.
You are expected to train yourself.

Advice to Senior ManagementDo not say we are "competitive with industry standards" unless you are willing to back up that claim with specific examples about where we stand vs. what our competition offers.
Show some goodwill and at least make a counter offer to the stellar employees who are leaving for other companies. We've lost several key team members who would have stayed if B&V had actually been "competitive with industry standards."
Take the time and make resources available to actually invest in training both new and experienced professionals.

Review for Expeditor

Expeditor (Current Employee) Kansas City, MO

I have been working at Black & Veatch as a contractor for less than a year

Pros: A very enjoyable work experience Cons: Difficult sometimes to obtain pertinent information Yes, I would recommend this company to a friend More

Great company and great people.

Administrative Coordinator (Former Employee) Austin, TX

I worked at Black & Veatch full-time for more than a year

Pros: Stable firm with ongoing projects in many sectors.. Cons: At times can be very corporate structured. Advice to Senior Management: Keep everyone in the loop on projects since many are… Yes, I would recommend this company to a friend – I'm optimistic about the outlook for this company… More

There are newer reviews on Black & Veatch.

Worked for Black & Veatch? Contribute to the Community!