There are newer employer reviews for Black & Veatch

I have been satisified with working at B&V

Current Employee - Director Management Consulting in Houston, TX
Current Employee - Director Management Consulting in Houston, TX

I have been working at Black & Veatch

Pros

Utility work only, Very sharp people, Well known and respected in the industry, depth of experience in utilities and water

Cons

Senior leadership of Management Consulting, Strategi plan, leading solutions Work life balance Lack of strategic direction Very resptrictive policies and procedures, Senior managemnt oftentimes not approachable

Advice to Management

Take care of your people, ligten up on your policies, get your overheads in line with a consulting practice, remember consulting is not construction

0 reviews filtered by
  • Any Status

One of the worst places to work on the face of the Earth!

Former Employee - Mechanical Technician in Overland Park, KS
    Former Employee - Mechanical Technician in Overland Park, KS

I worked at Black & Veatch

Pros

They will hire you right out of school. A good place to get 3 years of experience and then move on. That is the only positive I can think of at this time.

Cons

Where do I begin? B&V is without a doubt the most incompently run company in America. Senior (Mis-)Management has no clue how to run a business. If I could have given Morale a negative number, I would have done so. They are very good at locking a person down at a certain level and marooning them there. I tried on several occasions to bring up suggestions that I thought could help and I was listed as a trouble maker. Once you are "on the list", you can forget about any promotions. I wish I had know about that before I tried to talk to "leadership". As a designer you like to work with software that is generally available. However, B&V has a home-grown program that is very difficult to use. Everyone knows about it and it is a big joke around town. I can sum up B&V in one quote from a former co-worker of mine: Nothing is impossible to the person that doesn't know how it done. This is the person that makes the schedule.

Advice to Management

Listen to your employees! They can help you if you would just listen.

Could be better, Should be better

Current Employee - Human Resources in Overland Park, KS
    Current Employee - Human Resources in Overland Park, KS

I have been working at Black & Veatch

Pros

Good work/life balance, Good Benefits, Friendly, Knowledgeable, Open door policy, Stable, Well-known, Global, Good place to learn.

Cons

Old and unattractive work environment, Behind in technology, Very little employee recognition, Low morale, No company perks, Very little team building, Big generational gaps.

Advice to Management

Stop talking about what you’re going to do and do it. Recognize your employees. Start making the upgrades. Trust your employees. Weed out middle management. Really become innovative. Appeal to the new generation of workers. Give credit where credit is due. Throw in more jeans days-believe it or not, that will go a long way. Loosen up.