There are newer employer reviews for BlackBerry

Love RIM, Love BlackBerry, Love working here!

Current Employee - Performance Measurement Analyst in Waterloo, ON (Canada)
Current Employee - Performance Measurement Analyst in Waterloo, ON (Canada)

I have been working at BlackBerry full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Great perks, great people, competitive salaries. This is a great place to work, with lots of oppourtunity for learning, growth and movement within RIM.

Cons

Some duplication of effort, and a few too many "old school thinkers". Like most companies, its big enough to be slow at certain types of change, and some empire building. For the most part though, people work together.

Advice to Management

Break down the silos, listen to the front-line, and focus on innovating!

Other Employee Reviews for BlackBerry

RIM is above average overall

Former Intern - Project Coordinator in Waterloo, ON (Canada)
    Former Intern - Project Coordinator in Waterloo, ON (Canada)

I worked at BlackBerry as an intern (More than a year)

Pros

RIM offers a lot of coop/inter opportunities for students at school. But the requirement for full time positions is high.

Cons

RIM is not innovative enough as an IT company.

2. Regardless of what people might think, it is still a good place to work

Current Employee - Network Engineer in Waterloo, ON (Canada)
    Current Employee - Network Engineer in Waterloo, ON (Canada)

I have been working at BlackBerry full-time (More than 8 years)

Pros

One of the few High Tech Canadian companies where you can learn a lot if you are willing to take the challenges and don't sit in your laurels. Good benefits, nice work environment, competitive salaries and opportunity to grow. There is always something new to learn.

Cons

RIM didn't do a good job in hiring the best people during its explosive growth. Many toxic people came in and created bureaucracy (they call it processes) and a culture of playing safe and cover their asses which slowed down the dynamics of the company and created feuds and internal fights. Some still prevail.

Advice to Management

Clean up the bureaucrats and promote a culture of taking risks and be agile. Do not let the excessive processes to slow us down. We need more "TO DO" people. We have had enough of "pseudo-bosses" that only want to give orders but not do anything or that feel are too good to roll up their sleeves and do the hard work. I have a lot of confidence in the new CEO because he's been doing just this. Please keep it doing it.