There are newer employer reviews for BlackBerry

Love RIM, Love BlackBerry, Love working here!

Current Employee - Performance Measurement Analyst in Waterloo, ON (Canada)
Current Employee - Performance Measurement Analyst in Waterloo, ON (Canada)

I have been working at BlackBerry full-time (more than an year)

Pros

Great perks, great people, competitive salaries. This is a great place to work, with lots of oppourtunity for learning, growth and movement within RIM.

Cons

Some duplication of effort, and a few too many "old school thinkers". Like most companies, its big enough to be slow at certain types of change, and some empire building. For the most part though, people work together.

Break down the silos, listen to the front-line, and focus on innovating!

1115 Other Employee Reviews for BlackBerry (View Most Recent)

Stagnant

Former Employee - Service Engineer in Waterloo, ON (Canada)
    Former Employee - Service Engineer in Waterloo, ON (Canada)

I worked at BlackBerry full-time (more than an year)

Pros

Plenty of time to play table tennis

Cons

No direction.
    Management doesn't understand the technology.
    Too much red tape.

cut the fat!

Wasted potential

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Waterloo, ON (Canada)
    Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Waterloo, ON (Canada)

I worked at BlackBerry full-time (more than an year)

Pros

Overall: Salaries are good, the company pays well. Benefits are competitive. Casual work environment. Some cool people work there. You get a BlackBerry for the duration of your employment and some teams get PlayBooks.

My job: My job allowed me some freedom and creativity in how I completed projects, and I worked with some great people on some interesting projects. I had a lot of freedom in determining my schedule and in structuring my projects, which was quite nice. Some parts of my job were very interesting, challenging and exciting.

Cons

RIM hires a lot of people without any technology or corporate experience and it shows, particularly with people who joined the company before the growth years (from 2003-2007) and then got promoted into management jobs they were not qualified to do. This created a LOT of problems in that the company is incredibly disorganized and there a definite lack of a pro-active approach to issues.

Also some managers have close friendships with some of their direct reports which creates problems.

In my area there was complete lack of any structure or process which did not help in dealing with the issues our team and the company was facing. This was not helped by the complete indifference of the senior executives, who didn't communicate about what was going on or lied about it when they did.

There was really no career or job progression to speak of in my job, although RIM is very disorganized so some teams might have well-defined career paths. RIM is not like any other corporation in that it's run like a small business so you never know what the team you're joining is like -- it could be well run or it could be a complete mess.

Learn to manage. Read a book, go to school, something, anything would help.

There are newer employer reviews for BlackBerry