There are newer employer reviews for BlackBerry

It was an interesting journey, but no longer...

I have been working at BlackBerry full-time for more than 5 years

Pros

When I started more than 5 years ago, things were messy and there were no processes but we were happy. Collectively with people across various functions, we built the region's business from 2% to 18% of the company's total revenue. Everyone was busy, easily putting in 18hrs a day, with night calls and travel to boot. The company was producing innovative products that both enterprises and consumers were asking for. We had the autonomy to create great Go-to-market plans that is relevant to each country and marketing materials that resonate with the locals.

Cons

The senior leadership rested on their laurels, and in that they forgot to innovate. They were forewarned with up and coming trends, designs by employees. They didn't listen and insisted that what worked before can continue to work in the future. Their direct reports were resistant to change as well, resulting in poor supply change management, high cost of manufacturing, wrong pricing structure, poor quality of software and hardware, etc.

I continue to strongly believe in the products and services but they need to take bigger steps to reform the company. First, realistically price the device right at launch. In the real world, customers do look at specs vs price. Secondly, hire a bigger pool of developers so as to deliver quality software and on time. We have only 10% of what Google's Android and Apple's iOS has for developers. With those few folks, they have to deliver handheld software, BBM, Enterprise software, BB World, etc. Thirdly, minimise uncertainty. With the recent announcement of "strategic options", external customers (carriers/distributors/enterprises) are wary to do business with us. Internally, employees are having very low morale, not sure if they have a job tomorrow or not. The quality of work has definitely been affected.

1098 Other Employee Reviews for BlackBerry (View Most Recent)

BlackBerry Scholarship Program

Former Employee - BlackBerry Scholarship Program
    Former Employee - BlackBerry Scholarship Program

I worked at BlackBerry as an intern for less than a year

Pros

Gained a lot of experience in social media marketing and event management.
    Learned to work under time constraints.

Cons

Hard to communicate with liaison.

good

Current Employee - Data Network Engineer
    Current Employee - Data Network Engineer

I have been working at BlackBerry full-time for more than 3 years

Pros

good salary, flexible work enviroment

Cons

market share should be up more than current value

more app for the OS

There are newer employer reviews for BlackBerry

Worked for BlackBerry? Contribute to the Community!