BlackBerry

www.blackberry.com
There are newer employer reviews for BlackBerry

3-Month Internship - Absolutely loved it

Former Employee - Competitive Intelligence Assistant, Student in Fort Lauderdale, FL

I worked at BlackBerry

Pros

*Company loves students
*Incredible group of like-minded, intelligent interns, and we had a blast
*Work life balance - 40 hour work weeks (for me) and generally commitment based. Some of my
friends worked more but never too much more that I saw
*Nicest people ever. My whole team was great (the actual employees, not interns) and really supported me
*Very competitive sallary for a internship
*Free blackberry and full voice and data service while working for them

Cons

*Not the fast-paced environment some might be looking for in places like Google and Facebook
*Don't get to keep Blackberry after internship :)

Innovate. Apple and Google will take you down if you don't take some risks with your phones. Loved my internship though. Amazing experience. :)

1180 Other Employee Reviews for BlackBerry (View Most Recent)

RIM as an employer

Current Employee - Account Manager in Irving, TX
    Current Employee - Account Manager in Irving, TX

I have been working at BlackBerry

Pros

Great benefits, good vacation package.

Cons

ZERO respect for work/life balance, very little planning and/or strategy which leads to chaos and long work weeks.

Improve your planning.

A Company that has Outgrown Its Small Company Business Practices

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Irving, TX
    Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Irving, TX

I worked at BlackBerry

Pros

RIM has had an uncanny ability to hit market sweet spots, and much of that ability can be attributed to senior management. It has great benefits and, to reinforce a stereotype, the Canadians are some of the nicest people I've ever worked with. The technology is cutting, sometimes bleeding edge. Benefits are above average for telecom companies in this area.

In the US location I worked in, the "development" positions were in reality integration positions. Core engineering is done in Canada. I saw some interesting stuff, but it was in the course of troubleshooting phone-specific problems or trying to resolve configuration management issues.

In summary, it's a mixed bag: RIM's very, very successful and has above average benefits. They work their developers hard, and developers are expected to do whatever it takes, whenever needed, for extended periods of time.

Cons

Unfortunately, the company's growth has outstripped its organizational maturity, resulting in a nearly constant crisis mode on many projects. The product quality is still there, but it gets there due to heroic efforts. Constant heroic efforts--month after month. Forget work-life balance; you'll need to be constantly available on those weekends when you don't go into the office. You'll be texting constantly while on vacation.

First, don't change whatever you're doing to come up with the rights products for the market. Second, you need some lightweight processes. RIM moves fast, but a huge amount of time is spent resolving configuration problems or problems due to miscommunications of changes. Entire organizations are consumed with just troublshooting CM issues. As margins decrease, this is really going to start hurting. And a silver-bullet methodology or calling chaos "agile" isn't going to do it. Focus on change control and communications--you'll save time, salaries and scrap. And your folks will have some type of work-life balance.

There are newer employer reviews for BlackBerry