There are newer employer reviews for BlackBerry

Great place to work but mind the growing pains

Current Employee - Senior Development Manager  in  Waterloo, ON (Canada)
Current Employee - Senior Development Manager in Waterloo, ON (Canada)

I have been working at BlackBerry

Pros

The single reason is the people there. When I first came in, I was amazed at how friendly and helpful everybody was and now that I've been here for six months, I'm still really amazed - this is somewhere in which everybody wants to share in the company's success! The products are very exciting and there is still enough of the start up mentality here that you can make a difference. RIM will probably double in size over the next year, so there are still a lot of opportunities for advancement or to carve out a career for yourself that fits your personality and skills.

Cons

There are some senior managers that are too entrenched in their positions and have grown somewhat bitter and cynical (if that seems possible). For these people, there needs to be some kind of re-energization process to be put into account.

The place is growing very, very quickly. It is difficult to find a parking space when you come in and chances are your manager won't be able to find a desk for you.

Finally, there is a lot to learn, I spent the first month there wondering if it was all a test (setting up my laptop, BlackBerry, system access, etc.) to see how well I could cope - this is very intimidating for many new employees.

Set your focus on product quality and completeness. The need to get new products to the market is understood but we have to make sure that everything is done right.

Ignore the market and ignore Apple. We have a great product and the only thing holding us back is quality when we release.

1092 Other Employee Reviews for BlackBerry (View Most Recent)

Good, not great, opportunity, with a certain amount of resistance

Current Employee - Product Manager  in  Waterloo, ON (Canada)
    Current Employee - Product Manager in Waterloo, ON (Canada)

I have been working at BlackBerry

Pros

Fast growing leads to constant changing learning opportunities. Although it is trying to become a mature company, it is still fluid enough to allow for entrepreneurial initiatives at all levels.

Cons

As the company grows, there are growing pains as processes and culture adapt to the larger company size.

It may just be my experiences, but HR is very controlling over salary, raises and promotions. There is little differentiation between performances at the peer level and within teams. If you are a member of a strong team, your personal incentives are much lower than if you are an average contributor on a weak team. This handcuffs managers.

...

Accept a position if one is offered.

Former Employee - BlackBerry Systems Support, Associate  in  Halifax, NS (Canada)
    Former Employee - BlackBerry Systems Support, Associate in Halifax, NS (Canada)

I worked at BlackBerry

Pros

Solid pay compared to other companies. Generally a great group of people to work with. Always room for advancement and education. Very comfortable and ergonomic chairs/desks.

Cons

Could have more role diversity. You get tired of taking the same type of call day after day. But with room for advancement, you won't be taking the same call for more than 2 years.

Great company to work for. The big screen TVs and Nintendo Wii's are a great idea, but with such strict breaks they aren't very useful!

There are newer employer reviews for BlackBerry

Worked for BlackBerry? Contribute to the Community!