BlackBerry

www.blackberry.com

Great place to work but mind the growing pains

Senior Development Manager (Current Employee) Waterloo, ON (Canada)

ProsThe single reason is the people there. When I first came in, I was amazed at how friendly and helpful everybody was and now that I've been here for six months, I'm still really amazed - this is somewhere in which everybody wants to share in the company's success! The products are very exciting and there is still enough of the start up mentality here that you can make a difference. RIM will probably double in size over the next year, so there are still a lot of opportunities for advancement or to carve out a career for yourself that fits your personality and skills.

ConsThere are some senior managers that are too entrenched in their positions and have grown somewhat bitter and cynical (if that seems possible). For these people, there needs to be some kind of re-energization process to be put into account.

The place is growing very, very quickly. It is difficult to find a parking space when you come in and chances are your manager won't be able to find a desk for you.

Finally, there is a lot to learn, I spent the first month there wondering if it was all a test (setting up my laptop, BlackBerry, system access, etc.) to see how well I could cope - this is very intimidating for many new employees.

Advice to Senior ManagementSet your focus on product quality and completeness. The need to get new products to the market is understood but we have to make sure that everything is done right.

Ignore the market and ignore Apple. We have a great product and the only thing holding us back is quality when we release.

Good place to start a career and a great name to have on the resume. Move on once you have a few years under your belt.

Sales (Current Employee) Waterloo, ON (Canada)

I have been working at BlackBerry

Pros: Rapidly growing company with a great product. Great for someone just starting their… Cons: Compensation is less than other comparable tech companies and stock options no longer offered for individual contributors. There exists… Advice to Senior Management: While competition is heating up, it is important to draw upon the lessons of firms such as Dell and Motorola. The value proposition… More

Good, not great, opportunity, with a certain amount of resistance

Product Manager (Current Employee) Waterloo, ON (Canada)

I have been working at BlackBerry

Pros: Fast growing leads to constant changing learning opportunities. Although it is trying to become… Cons: As the company grows, there are growing pains as processes and culture adapt to the larger company size. It may just be my experiences, but HR… Advice to Senior Management: ... Yes, I would recommend this company to a friend More

There are newer reviews on BlackBerry.

Worked for BlackBerry? Contribute to the Community!