There are newer employer reviews for BlackBerry

Great place to work but mind the growing pains

Current Employee - Senior Development Manager in Waterloo, ON (Canada)
Current Employee - Senior Development Manager in Waterloo, ON (Canada)

I have been working at BlackBerry

Pros

The single reason is the people there. When I first came in, I was amazed at how friendly and helpful everybody was and now that I've been here for six months, I'm still really amazed - this is somewhere in which everybody wants to share in the company's success! The products are very exciting and there is still enough of the start up mentality here that you can make a difference. RIM will probably double in size over the next year, so there are still a lot of opportunities for advancement or to carve out a career for yourself that fits your personality and skills.

Cons

There are some senior managers that are too entrenched in their positions and have grown somewhat bitter and cynical (if that seems possible). For these people, there needs to be some kind of re-energization process to be put into account.

The place is growing very, very quickly. It is difficult to find a parking space when you come in and chances are your manager won't be able to find a desk for you.

Finally, there is a lot to learn, I spent the first month there wondering if it was all a test (setting up my laptop, BlackBerry, system access, etc.) to see how well I could cope - this is very intimidating for many new employees.

Advice to Management

Set your focus on product quality and completeness. The need to get new products to the market is understood but we have to make sure that everything is done right.

Ignore the market and ignore Apple. We have a great product and the only thing holding us back is quality when we release.

reviews filtered by
  1. Still a good place to work at.

Current Employee - IT in Waterloo, ON (Canada)
    Current Employee - IT in Waterloo, ON (Canada)

I have been working at BlackBerry

Pros

Growing company - lots of fun seeing new things develop. Lots of opportunities move into and learn new skills/build your own career paths. Weakness overall are getting addressed, some areas slowly other areas quickly. Compensation is being revamped to be more competitive globally.

Cons

Growing company - growing pains. While there are good areas, there are also bad areas in the company to work in - not overly consistent - depends on who senior management is and what values they have.
    Happy working in IT, very unhappy working in Manufacturing.
    Does not seem to be a balance check in management - no one is checking competence it seems - your lucky if you get a good manger, very unlucky if you get a bad one (and good luck trying to transfer away from one that doesn't like you). Some old time managers have a hard time scaling up.

Advice to Management

Weed out the nasty people, they are not worth the moral price and give the company a bad name when people leave because of them.

2. Good place to start a career and a great name to have on the resume. Move on once you have a few years under your belt.

Current Employee - Sales in Waterloo, ON (Canada)
    Current Employee - Sales in Waterloo, ON (Canada)

I have been working at BlackBerry

Pros

Rapidly growing company with a great product. Great for someone just starting their career and presents a huge potential for growth and advancement within the organization.

Cons

Compensation is less than other comparable tech companies and stock options no longer offered for individual contributors. There exists a boys' club in some business units and promotions are at times given not on the basis of merit.

Advice to Management

While competition is heating up, it is important to draw upon the lessons of firms such as Dell and Motorola. The value proposition of the technology should be the basis of competing with rivals and the comoditization of the smartphone market should be avoided at all costs.