There are newer employer reviews for BlackRock

It was great in BGI days but dusts haven't settled yet after the merge, overall it's ok.

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in San Francisco, CA
Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in San Francisco, CA

I worked at BlackRock

Pros

Industry dominant position. Various business lines for career growth and professional development. Nice people to work with in San Francisco office.

Cons

A huge and complicated organization for an employee to navigate through. Many levels in the organization structure that may confuse people.

0 reviews filtered by
  • Any Status

Hardworking people, high client service, but a churn and burn environment w/ decreasing benefits. Very understaffed.

Current Employee - Vice President in Wilmington, DE
    Current Employee - Vice President in Wilmington, DE

I have been working at BlackRock

Pros

-Hard working smart people at the ground level -Comradery with teammates strong. Feel like most people have one another's backs -Great place to learn in first year or two after school. But then learning curve dramatically decreases. - Client service driven. Ethical. -Nice well kept building

Cons

-No raises in 3 years even though company is growing and in solid financial shape. When you break out comp by total hours worked, its a sad number. -Bonuses and retirement contributions cut despite everyone working longer and longer hours. "More with less, more with less" is the mantra. People getting cynical. -Can't even get replacement jobs approved. Aggressively adding more accounts without enough people to support the business. Late nights and weekends expected from everyone with increasing pressure to put in even more hours. Very stressful to balance personal and work life. Some of the teams have kids coming in at 6:30 am, work 12-15 hours and mandatory weekend work too.

Advice to Management

Hire a lot more people or stop committing currently fried employees to more work.

Please hire more people before noone is left. BlackRock is a rich and growing company but force people to work 24x7.

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Wilmington, DE
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Wilmington, DE

I have been working at BlackRock

Pros

My team is very bright and dedicated. But we are severely understaffed and doing the work of teams twice the size. I do like and respect my colleagues in all of the IT teams, but sadly I can not say the same for senior leadership. BlackRock is a global company and a respected name which is good for longer term career.

Cons

Bullying substitutes real leadership, and the average employee is not respected by senior management. We are not treated as important contributors who can improve things if given the opportunity, but as zombies who must get the work done at all costs. There are many talented individuals here wasting their expertise on mindless activities. I dont understand why a rich company like BlackRock will not invest in technology to streamline work. We are told that technology is the backbone of the company but it is not evident in how IT prodessionals are treated. Morale unfortunately is very low. It is expected that everyone work many days straight in the office with no time off and late nights, weekends and holidays are demanded. There is pressure to take no personal or sick time off and it is frowned upon to even eat lunch away from your desk. There is no respect for having a life or responsibilities outside of work. I wish I could find more satisfaction because the company is strong and growing. But the personal cost is too great for me to continue much longer.

Advice to Management

We are not stupid. We know that there are many people making large money at BlackRock. Please redirect some of that money to hiring enough people.