There are newer employer reviews for BlackRock

Stop telling me that I should "just be happy to have a job"!

Current Employee - Vice President in Seattle, WA
Current Employee - Vice President in Seattle, WA

Pros

I enjoy my job because of the people i work with. We all work hard, take price in our work and want the company to succeed.

Cons

Employees in departments that don't bring in clients/accounts are not appreciated. We haven't been receiving raises, and our bonuses have been going down. My dept is expected to do more with less personnel than 2 years ago, but we're being paid less. I'm tired of hearing that I should "just be happy to have a job". I suspect that the money the company is saving by cutting my co-workers is going to the fat cats at the top.

Other Employee Reviews for BlackRock

1. Great for out of school graduates.

Current Employee - .NET Associate in Seattle, WA
    Current Employee - .NET Associate in Seattle, WA

Pros

Best people to work with and good work life balance. Chance to learn financial terms.

Cons

Should use modern technologies in software development.

2. Are we really One BlackRock?

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in New York, NY
    Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in New York, NY

Pros

Employees work diligently to strive to be one of the best in the Financial industry and are committed to providing the best client service they can. BlackRock is very much about team work, showing results and being the best. People are willing to help you if you need it, are very supportive and you will have long lasting relationships with collegues. It is a great working environment but just be clear that you will be putting in long hours.

Cons

BlackRock has become really big after numerous mergers and senior management tends to lack communication with their employees especially staff members who are not above the totem pole and its still very difficult to figure out what the Blackrock culture should be. Work and life is unbalanced for many and those who are not working as hard as others may get recognition then those who do. There are many who hold certain positions because their qualifications looks good on paper but are not able to communicate or provide leadership qualities that is needed; a lot of work but not enough employees within a team to compensate for the workload. The environment can be stressful at times and compensation tends to be on the low side.

Advice to Management

People are working harder and more hours, provide more incentatives for your employees which will boost their morale and acheivements. It is also vital for Managing Directors to also recongnize other members in their groups who are not just Directors/VP's but others as well who have played their part in the success of BlackRock.