There are newer employer reviews for BlackRock

Are we really One BlackRock?

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in New York, NY
Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in New York, NY

I worked at BlackRock

Pros

Employees work diligently to strive to be one of the best in the Financial industry and are committed to providing the best client service they can. BlackRock is very much about team work, showing results and being the best. People are willing to help you if you need it, are very supportive and you will have long lasting relationships with collegues. It is a great working environment but just be clear that you will be putting in long hours.

Cons

BlackRock has become really big after numerous mergers and senior management tends to lack communication with their employees especially staff members who are not above the totem pole and its still very difficult to figure out what the Blackrock culture should be.

Work and life is unbalanced for many and those who are not working as hard as others may get recognition then those who do. There are many who hold certain positions because their qualifications looks good on paper but are not able to communicate or provide leadership qualities that is needed; a lot of work but not enough employees within a team to compensate for the workload. The environment can be stressful at times and compensation tends to be on the low side.

Advice to Management

People are working harder and more hours, provide more incentatives for your employees which will boost their morale and acheivements. It is also vital for Managing Directors to also recongnize other members in their groups who are not just Directors/VP's but others as well who have played their part in the success of BlackRock.

reviews filtered by
  1. Overall, a good place to work

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in San Francisco, CA
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in San Francisco, CA

I have been working at BlackRock

Pros

Smart people
    People are friendly and approachable
    Incredible opportunities to learn
    My 1st line manager was excellent.
    Team work and collaboration are good
    Management seems interested in hearing about employee concerns, and in some cases, they act on them

Cons

BlackRock does everything as cheaply as possible
    Development environments need much improvement
    Employee turnover is very high

Advice to Management

Innovate more.
    Enable people to move across departments more freely.
    More management by walking around from the senior management team.

Please hire more people before noone is left. BlackRock is a rich and growing company but force people to work 24x7.

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Wilmington, DE
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Wilmington, DE

I have been working at BlackRock

Pros

My team is very bright and dedicated. But we are severely understaffed and doing the work of teams twice the size. I do like and respect my colleagues in all of the IT teams, but sadly I can not say the same for senior leadership. BlackRock is a global company and a respected name which is good for longer term career.

Cons

Bullying substitutes real leadership, and the average employee is not respected by senior management. We are not treated as important contributors who can improve things if given the opportunity, but as zombies who must get the work done at all costs. There are many talented individuals here wasting their expertise on mindless activities. I dont understand why a rich company like BlackRock will not invest in technology to streamline work. We are told that technology is the backbone of the company but it is not evident in how IT prodessionals are treated. Morale unfortunately is very low. It is expected that everyone work many days straight in the office with no time off and late nights, weekends and holidays are demanded. There is pressure to take no personal or sick time off and it is frowned upon to even eat lunch away from your desk. There is no respect for having a life or responsibilities outside of work. I wish I could find more satisfaction because the company is strong and growing. But the personal cost is too great for me to continue much longer.

Advice to Management

We are not stupid. We know that there are many people making large money at BlackRock. Please redirect some of that money to hiring enough people.

There are newer employer reviews for BlackRock