There are newer employer reviews for BlackRock

My experience deals with a very difficult merge to BGI and with interfering non-business personal views of management.

Former Employee - Quantitative Analyst in San Francisco, CA
Former Employee - Quantitative Analyst in San Francisco, CA

I worked at BlackRock

Pros

Potential growth both horizontally and vertically within the organization; learning opportunities of different levels of the portfolio management profession (i.e., technical skills, business skills, management skills...)

Cons

Compensation structure divides groups; political and religious personal views of life of managers affect daily work; some managers look only at a very short term objectives penalizing BlackRock and BGI integration by keeping into existence inefficient codes and systems.

"One BlackRock" in "legacy BGI groups" in San Francisco is "one hundred black rocks". Some fixed income groups hide themselves behind barriers, which are the result of the historical complexity of codes and systems. They need a big change.

649 Other Employee Reviews for BlackRock (View Most Recent)

Stop telling me that I should "just be happy to have a job"!

Current Employee - Vice President in Seattle, WA
    Current Employee - Vice President in Seattle, WA

I have been working at BlackRock

Pros

I enjoy my job because of the people i work with. We all work hard, take price in our work and want the company to succeed.

Cons

Employees in departments that don't bring in clients/accounts are not appreciated. We haven't been receiving raises, and our bonuses have been going down. My dept is expected to do more with less personnel than 2 years ago, but we're being paid less. I'm tired of hearing that I should "just be happy to have a job". I suspect that the money the company is saving by cutting my co-workers is going to the fat cats at the top.

A place with tremendous opportunity

Current Employee - Director in New York, NY
    Current Employee - Director in New York, NY

I have been working at BlackRock

Pros

There are lot of opportunities to grow within BlackRock. No one will give you those opportunities. You have to grab them yourselves. So if you are go-getter then BlackRock is definitely the place for you.

Cons

You need to be a superstar to excel in BlackRock. Individual contributions are valued much more than team contributions. Very fast-paced culture with superstars taking all the glory and not much career growth for the rest. Long hours. Pay is not commensurate the long hours that people put in. Managers are more concerned about finding mistakes rather than motivating people.

Need to focus more on Team than Individual. As the company grows, its gonna be harder to find superstars. So concentrate on making your process the superstar instead of hiring superstars. And if you have superstars reward them accordingly.

There are newer employer reviews for BlackRock