There are newer employer reviews for BlackRock

Good Pay Doesn't Make Up for Horrible Work Environment

Former Employee - Product Manager in San Francisco, CA
Former Employee - Product Manager in San Francisco, CA

I worked at BlackRock full-time (more than 5 years)

Pros

The bonus is the only reason to work here.

Cons

Speaking from someone who worked in IT and not the financial side of the business.

Pretty much everything but the pay. Power - and I mean power - is held by very few at the very top and they use it in a very micro managing way. It is definitely a class structure with the haves and have nots. Impossible to get things done when everything has to go through Senior Management first.

Constant reorganization of departments and groups in my opinion just shows lack of knowing how to do things and leads to horrible experiences for employees. I had 4 managers in 2 years after the BlackRock acquisition of BGI.

Horrible technology. While Aladdin might have great functionality - although I hear differently, the infrastructure it is on is antiquated and with so many acquisitions and too little understanding of how to integrate everything for BlackRock internally is a scrambled mess and has people constantly fire fighting instead of innovating. Oh yeah - I forgot - innovation doesn't matter at BlackRock. Their attitude for technology is if it ain't broke don't fix it. We don't want to use newer technologies because then our people might have some skills they can actually use and want to leave us.

I don't know anybody who works there who actually says they like or love their job. But they like the bonus and I guess in the end we work for money.

I'm glad I was one of the ones who was able to make my own decision to leave and wasn't part of the trickling of layoffs that continue to happen after so many acquisitions.

Don't even know where to start. We provide feedback every year on performance appraisals but nothing has changed. Maybe run more like BGI did and you would have happier people and maybe less of a dysfunctional attitude overall.

649 Other Employee Reviews for BlackRock (View Most Recent)

Good Buy-side firm

Former Employee - Analyst in New York, NY
    Former Employee - Analyst in New York, NY

I worked at BlackRock as an intern (less than an year)

Pros

Nice people
    Low stress
    Good work life balance
    Manageable hours

Cons

Difficult to differentiate yourself
    Strong communication skills required

Great Ride While it Lasted. Getting Rocky as Company is Restructuring. Hold On!

Former Employee - Vice President in New York, NY
    Former Employee - Vice President in New York, NY

I worked at BlackRock

Pros

Depending on the dept, they give healthy bonus but the salary is not competitive and raises are minimal. Good, recognizable, reputable company to put on your resume. They do hire best of breed talent and you will work with smart people but do not expect a life outside of work. Their motto, "One BlackRock" is becoming like the big financial corporations out there with lots of red tape to get things done. They are loosing sight on how they started off.

Cons

There are are clicks and you need to be in the senior management click to get recognized and promoted. If you're a worker bee and quiet, you will be looked over and will be given work no one wants to do. They promote work/life balance but expect you to do the work of 3 people so I question the validity of that statement.

Improve on moral and bring everyone together with social events. It's not all about work. Say what you mean on work/life balance. Stop with the upper management clicks and own up to One BlackRock.

There are newer employer reviews for BlackRock