www.blackrock.com
  www.blackrock.com
There are newer employer reviews for BlackRock

Good work/life balance but culture is stale and paper pushing runs rampant

Former Employee - Associate in San Francisco, CA
Former Employee - Associate in San Francisco, CA

I worked at BlackRock full-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

Good name on resume
Great work life balance (8-5 easily)
Nice coworkers, smart people
If your main concern is collecting a paycheck and coasting, you've hit the jackpot
Decent pay to start (significant pay increases seem to be rare/impossible once you're there
Definitely not a terrible place to work

Cons

Depends greatly on your division but there is a lot of dissatisfaction at the company now (and has been for years). Not meritocratic - at least at the VP/Associate level. I see teams that are overstaffed with people who seem to spend most of their time on busy work or twiddling their thumbs in an effort to look like they're adding value. My biggest personal complaint at the Associate level is that I haven't had opportunities to challenge myself or expand my professional skills in a meaningful way. Career growth is definitely possible but it's all about networking. Clearly, networking should be a portion of a good career growth strategy, but it shouldn't be the only thing (in my opinion). If you're looking for an opportunity to develop professional skills and feel like you're making a real contribution (not just pushing paper), I'd be quite careful in accepting a job in the SF office. The company claims loudly to encourage internal promotion but it's simply not the case. Open positions are overwhelmingly filled by overqualified candidates, often from the outside. The result is a workplace where employees in many divisions aren't provided with any real career opportunity besides using the BLK name to find a better gig.

Encourage internal promotion (for real). Get to know something about what's going on beneath you. You should know what your direct reports (and their teams) are actually doing on a day-to-day basis. Many don't.

682 Other Employee Reviews for BlackRock (View Most Recent)

BLK

Current Employee - Associate in New York, NY

I have been working at BlackRock full-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

looking to grow and improve. client focused. trying to do things better internally

Cons

top heavy. constantly trying to catch up with itself after aggressive inorganic growth.

Current Employee - Associate in New York, NY

I have been working at BlackRock full-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

-Good work life balance
    -Strong investment in the growth of their employees

Cons

-Too big to the point it takes a long time to make a decision

There are newer employer reviews for BlackRock