BlackRock

www.blackrock.com
  www.blackrock.com
There are newer employer reviews for BlackRock

Losing sight of its most important asset

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in London, England (UK)
Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in London, England (UK)

I have been working at BlackRock

Pros

There is ample opportunity to prove yourself in the company. You're given as much responsibility as you want - or at least, I have been. It's also possible to move internally relatively easily, and to that extent you get the feeling that your career is in your own hands.

Cons

The purchase of BGI has highlighted huge cultural differences between the two legacy companies.
Management are trading on the good will and professional nature of its employees - treating staff, in some cases, in an appalling fashion.
Long hours have become the norm.
Compensation is disappointing. I'm not driven by money but I do believe in being paid fairly for the job you do and the results you achieve. It doesn't happen at BlackRock - especially if you're promoted from within.
The company needs to put its hand in its pockets - a shoestring budget will ensure it gets found out sooner or later. For a company of this size, there's no excuse - we're not investing sufficiently in existing talent.
Business risk management feels like it's a case of "wait and see".

It doesn't matter how good a Porsche looks if it's being driven with the engine of a Skoda. Listen to your staff - we're telling you the same story. Or don't, and just risk us all leaving.

668 Other Employee Reviews for BlackRock (View Most Recent)

Running in place

I have been working at BlackRock

Pros

San Francisco office is congenial atmosphere, left over from the good old days when we were Barclays Global Investors

Cons

New atmosphere is much more competitive. Employees have less latitude to be creative than when we were BGI

Talent and drive are the keys to success at this un-Wall Street company.

I have been working at BlackRock

Pros

It is a true meritocracy, where people's success isn't driven by the school they attended or who their daddy is/was, but by their talent and drive.

Cons

It is beginning to feel like a big company with the attendant big company challenges--the need to evolve to a big-company managment structure, disparate locations and different legacy cultures mixing together. It's not a start-up any more. But it's still a great company with a great business model.

Invest more in training and development of the next generations of leadership, because the founders will not be around forever.

There are newer employer reviews for BlackRock