Blackbaud

www.blackbaud.com
There are newer employer reviews for Blackbaud

Making changes in the right direction

Current Employee - Systems Engineer in Austin, TX
Current Employee - Systems Engineer in Austin, TX

I have been working at Blackbaud full-time (less than a year)

Pros

New people are joining the Austin office, with new ideas. These ideas are welcomed and encouraged. The senior leadership team is empowering employees to create positive change. I have worked for a number of companies that preached this message. Blackbaud is the first employer I have had that actually practices it. The culture is informal and a very "work-life balance" friendly. The pay is competitive and the office space has been completely remodeled (very nice).

Cons

Blackbaud has grown by acquisition. Some of the staff of the "acquired" companies have not taken this well. Having worked with many acquisitions over the years, I have found this attitude to be normal and to be expected. Some folks roll with the changes and are happy. Other stay until they collect their retention bonus, complaining all the way to the door. In short, some of the attitudes are tough to take, but its a temporary condition. Positive change is happening in spite of them.

Keep fostering new ideas and empowering the employees. Its working.

258 Other Employee Reviews for Blackbaud (View Most Recent)

A nice place with nice people and low pay

I have been working at Blackbaud

Pros

great products helping great causes

Cons

slow sales cycles, limited support by solutions consultants

reward your employees

Big business work with sweat shop labor perks

Former Employee - Enterprise Solutions Consultant in Charleston, SC
    Former Employee - Enterprise Solutions Consultant in Charleston, SC

I worked at Blackbaud full-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

Some of the best people I've ever worked with. The type of people that made my time with BB tolerable.

Cons

Also some of the worst people I've ever worked with...coincidentally, these are the people that get promoted and end up in positions they are not qualified for. If you consider yourself a decently smart person and good employee, you can forget about ever getting promoted.

80 hour work weeks are not uncommon, especially when you factor in travel time, which can no longer be done on company time--you travel on your own time and you do your admin work on your own time.

Re-orgs every few months. Frequent new managers, which makes it hard to get promoted when every 3 months you have a new boss.

Profit always trumps the 'mission'. Don't listen to what they tell you. Blackbaud is not out to help its customers, it's out to be a billion dollar a year company within 5 years. Often times, Blackbaud doesn't put the right people in front of a client to actually help. I've seen some slaughtered work done by people who had no business doing the job they were doing.

The bonus plan equates to something they promise to make the pathetic salaries more palatable. However, don't expect to ever see one. Bonuses are usually hit and miss but BB salaries are an outright scam. They rely on factors that you the employee have absolutely no control over.

The Convio Acquisition has been a nightmare. The culture that used to exist and, that is referenced in a lot of these reviews, went right out the door the day Convio came on board.

All the good, long term, knowledgeable people are leaving in droves.

Every action has an opposite and equal reaction. The reason so many good people are leaving is right in front of you.

There are newer employer reviews for Blackbaud