Great Experience so far

Current Employee - IT Sourcer in Austin, TX
Current Employee - IT Sourcer in Austin, TX

I have been working at Blackbaud full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

-Great hours. I typically get here around 9 and leave around 4:30, no questions asked
-Absolutely no weekend work. This is the first company I've worked for that the office shuts down. I get very few emails over the weekend to my phone.
-Great culture. The folks here are like family. We do company outings regularly. For the most part most of the company are good friends. There are office sports and office cook offs
-SERVING THE COMMUNITY. When you have a bad day at work, it's nice to remember what we are all here for. We do what we do to help our customers accomplish their missions
-Management. I personally have a great relationship with my manager and feel comfortable speaking with any level of management.
-Pay. I personally am paid right around market price and receive a bonus based on performance. With the flexible work hours and benefits, I think it's more than competitive.

From what I can gather in my 3+ months here, there are a lot of steps being put into place to rebuild this company and make it greater than ever.

Cons

Bumpy acquisition, that is finally now settling down

Advice to Management

Keep rewarding the little guys. It pays off.

reviews filtered by

Coasting on brand name and lack of viable competition.

Former Employee - Account Executive
    Former Employee - Account Executive

I worked at Blackbaud full-time

Pros

Working with nonprofits is better than selling widgets. People generally nice. Not much viable competition, and no real need to sell value most of the time...which is nice I guess, if you're into that kind of thing.

Cons

The critical importance of the nonprofit market to American life makes the mediocrity of the products, vision, sales approach, management, etc all the more disappointing. Selling Windows XP-era technology is embarrassing, and even the cloud tech they bought with Convio is getting long in the tooth.

Blackbaud has long since lost any "innovation" DNA it may have had, and has been coasting on its reputation and brand name as the de facto NPO standard. The acquisition of Convio successfully bought Blackbaud some more time and runway by eliminating its most viable challenger.

However, if it requires major surgery on product management, sales, and services to transform itself into a modern software company that can compete with nimbler,more flexible platforms....I don't envy the next CEO.

Advice to Management

Move HQ from Charleston to a larger tech market, to facilitate a badly needed management/culture overhaul and give the company at fighting chance at getting stronger talent.

Throw you out to the shark on first day

Former Employee - Enterprise Solution Specialist I in Austin, TX
    Former Employee - Enterprise Solution Specialist I in Austin, TX

I worked at Blackbaud full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

The benefits seemed like they were decent and the location was great (The Domain)

Cons

The first half of my first day went great, but then after that all went to hell. My "training buddy" advised me to go setup my computer, and that was fine. Then I found out that I was getting every technical problem you can have on a computer and I knew it was not on my end. I found out later that it was just the company and their IT department really needs to get there things together. Then I got overwhelmed because I was pretty much sitting there for hours twiddling my thumbs with no one coming over to help or train me. Eventually my trainer came over and asked if I needed help, and when I told him I was a little de-motivated because I did not know what I was supposed to be doing, he just shrugged my response off and went back to his desk. Then I went to the manager and said I do not know what I'm doing here, no one is helping me out and I feel overwhelmed. She said she would get on it, and the next thing I know I'm twiddling my thumbs for hours again. Eventually I just decided to let the time run out and that I was just having a bad day. The next day I told myself it would be a new day, but same thing happened. No one was willing to help me out so I just got up and left.

Advice to Management

Please have a more structured training program in place for new employees or else people are just going to leave by getting overwhelmed. You cannot expect someone to know everything on their first days of being there.