Blackbaud

There are newer employer reviews for Blackbaud

Interaction Design @ Blackbaud

Current Employee - Interaction Designer in Charleston, SC
Current Employee - Interaction Designer in Charleston, SC

I have been working at Blackbaud

Pros

Working with non-profits to enable and support there causes
Colleagues
Atmosphere

Cons

Indifference to Design roles and abilities by middle management
Indifference to products versus profits - good is good enough
Inability to remove incompetent staff
Inability to identify incompetent staff

Set higher standards for employees
Reward the A's and B's
Remove the C's and D's
Remove people who hire D's and F's

264 Other Employee Reviews for Blackbaud (View Most Recent)

Great customers and work but the company pushes employees into the ground with too much work and travel

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Charleston, SC
    Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Charleston, SC

I worked at Blackbaud

Pros

The customers are great most of the time.

Cons

Too much focus on billable hours. Not enough focus on quality work. If you suck up enough, promotions are yours. Do a good job tough luck.

Pay more attention to quality. Your customers will thank you.

Great employees, but very average management competency

Former Employee - Solutions Developer in Charleston, SC
    Former Employee - Solutions Developer in Charleston, SC

I worked at Blackbaud

Pros

- Opportunity to work with some wonderful non-profit clients who make invaluable contributions to the world and our country
    - Blackbaud attracts employees (in general) who are smart, positive, well-intentioned, and hard-working. I benefited greatly from the working relationships I formed there in terms of learning about working with non-profits, technical skills, and the "how-to's" of technology consulting and implementation. Many of these employees are great people who are a lot of fun to be around (which is good, because fun helps with stress relief).
    - Charleston is an incredibly great place to live. You can look it up.

Cons

- The work in Professional Services, Product Support, and other areas can be very stressful.
    - Almost never enough billable hours needed to meet project deliverables (see "promising impossible timelines" and "poor project scoping" in another reviewer's comments)
    - Please read what an earlier reviewer said about Blackbaud's new application architecture. The new platform essentially places the bulk of software application logic in the SQL Server database instead of a true application logic layer. Multi-tiered application architecture became the standard many years ago.
    - In Professional Services, the compensation bonus "plans" are just sad. They really are.
    An earlier reviewer nailed it: "The problem is that the company constantly changes the bonus plans seemingly making them good, then bad, then good, then bad." I worked there for 2 1/2 years and we went through at least 5 different bonus plan configurations - a bit of a shell game, and it's a real problem for employee morale.
    - Yearly company re-organizations, whether they're needed or not (and not even an attempt by management to provide a rationale).
    - Not much of a surprise, but employee turnover in Professional Services and Support is 20% or higher.
    - All of the above highlights a management culture which emphasizes quarterly financial performance - and very generous management compensation incentives - first and foremost above everything else. I know it's a public company and all, but management could and should improve some of the above areas even as they're getting really well paid.

Invest in producing great software, even if it means departing from "the way we've been doing it." Invest in employees and alleviate some of the company's problems that are causing Blackbaud's high employee turnover rate.

There are newer employer reviews for Blackbaud