Blackboard

www.blackboard.com

Blackboard has been a great career move for me.

Current Employee - Senior Oracle Database Administrator  in  Amsterdam (Netherlands)
Current Employee - Senior Oracle Database Administrator in Amsterdam (Netherlands)

Pros

The is a very good working culture, motivated and talented staff are given the opportunity to learn and develop.

I thought I was quite experienced before joining Bb (MSc in Computing plus 14 years of IT industry experience) but I am very pleased with my career progression in the last few years.

I have also had good opportunities to develop both technical and people leadership/mentoring skills.

Cons

Work/life balance has suffered occasionally.

Three years ago the business was still slightly US-centric but that appears to be being addressed by Senior Management now.

Other reviews for Blackboard

Satisfied

Former Employee - Senior Programmer Analyst
    Former Employee - Senior Programmer Analyst

Pros

Great team of technical professionals. Above average benefits. Depending on your manager, flexible working hours and working arrangements are available. Was using current technology and offered plenty of vacation time with carry over available.

Cons

Following the buyout, the company has changed. They used to be "hip" and young and fresh and fun place to work. Now they are very quick to cut staff, cut funding, change software and outsource development to save money. The new owners seem to only be interested in keeping the business profitable and not interested in well being of staff or investing in new infrastructure or software.

Keep the employees happy. Don't outsource

Run For Your Life

Pros

HMMMM...

Oh - I get to work from home :)

Cons

I could write a book on this company. You don't want to work here! Run! It may look good from the outside but from the inside, it's a MESS!!!!!

-No work life balance - At ALLLLL
    -Upper Management are unethical, cheat companies.
    - They build software that sucks and continues to push things to the market knowing that it sucks!!!
    -It's all about the money, not the people!
    - Why in the hell doesn't Blacboard offer tuition reimbursement? This is suppose to be the leading education company who signs multi-million $deals with thousands of clients everyday. They don't care about their employees! This is an embarrassment!
    -They've purchased so many companies, re-orgainzed, created new business platforms that you don't know what is what anymore.
    - Advancement????? That's a joke! You either have to kiss butt or leave the company!
    -Nobody is using industry standards so if you want to go someplace and learn, this is not the place!!!!!

RUN FOR YOUR LIFE!!! - I've been there for 8 years. I should know!

Go away and learn how to treat employess and how to manage people, not money.

There are newer employer reviews for Blackboard.

Worked for Blackboard? Contribute to the Community!