There are newer employer reviews for Blackmore Partners

Only one day required in their internship.

Former Intern - Analyst Intern in Chicago, IL
Former Intern - Analyst Intern in Chicago, IL

I worked at Blackmore Partners as an intern (less than a year)

Pros

The current (bless them) unpaid employees seem to be cool people.
Gerald, the boss, has a great piece of advice, but it ends there.

Cons

1) There is absolutely no organization. Once you walk into the office, which is at a new building, there are a couple things you'll notice. It's a complete mess and everything is everywhere. No sense of professionalism, except in the way the interns decide to dress. My first impression of Gerald was that he must be very comfortable. He is the boss and I imagined that he would have a lot of influence and authority, but this was not the case. I am not here to bash him, I'm sure he is a great person, but as an incoming intern, I was slightly disappointed. The reason why was because before you go in, you have to watch an hour long presentation that Gerald does himself about the Private Equity Game. After listening, you are intrigued to learn more but I later realized that it is a very outdated presentation that he makes everyone watch at least twice while being hired as his intern.
2) Gerald emphasizes two things over and over again. Promptness. I strongly believe that work ethic is very important but if you want to learn this over the course of a six month unpaid internship, then you are very stubborn and you need to hurry and realize that you need a good work ethic to be successful in anything. The second thing he emphasizes is experience. This is the only value that he can offer since he is not going to put anything else into you. As an intern, your job is one of two things. Help in the organization and hiring process of the new batch of interns the next month. The second thing you'll do is to source deals which is mostly done through LinkedIn, asking for resumes and organizing all of that in order to target the right people for deals.
   SO in other words, you do the dirty work, don't get paid doing it, and you get the next batch of interns who will continue the vicious cycle.
3) None of the current workers want to be there. The "work" environment is actually sad. Nobody really seems to enjoy what they're doing and everyone looks forward to leaving. Most of them are international students, which means that they came with no options of turning back. Unfortunately for them, they are doing everything they can but the name "Blackmore Partners" holds no weight on their resumes.

First impressions are very important and they could not show me even a single reason as to why I should sign a contract to be a full time unpaid intern.

An effective leader invests in their team and gives them purpose and vision. The team reflects their leader and the team was lifeless, without motivation, and without a leader. I'm not saying you NEED to pay your workers, but if you're not going to pay them you have to give a bigger motivation and a bigger incentive in which the interns will find value in. The interns then look at the current and previous employees and their success stories. If you can only give one success story, then if you play the odds, this internship isn't worth putting your time in, especially if you're not even being compensated for basic costs.

Compensate your workers if it's not going to be monetary and it certainly isn't the reputation of BMP.

Feb 5, 2015Director of Talent Acquisition

The organization of our business is outlined in the internship syllabus that is sent to all applicants. If you are not looking at this internship as an opportunity to gain experience then it is ... More

reviews filtered by

This place sucks

I have been working at Blackmore Partners

Pros

No sigle point is pro in this place.

Cons

A lot, just the worse workplace for ever.

Feb 14, 2015Director of Talent Acquisition

Our prgram was modeled after "Junior Achievement. You get out of it what you pout in. If you got nothing out of it, likely you did not apply yourself. Since 2005, we estimate over 300 interns ... More

Good Learning oppotunity

Current Intern - M&A Analyst in Chicago, IL
    Current Intern - M&A Analyst in Chicago, IL

I have been working at Blackmore Partners as an intern (less than a year)

Pros

Every few week, the managing director will invite senior – level executives to the office and share their insights and working experience.
    It’s an opportunity to improve my communication skills and make me be more detail-oriented.

Cons

Yes. Although this is an unpaid internship, but you can learn a lot here, especially for young job seekers, it provides you a platform to put what you learnt in school into practice.

Feb 14, 2015Director of Talent Acquisition

Thank you for your feedback. It is clear that you applied yourself and made the most out of your internship.

Want to hear what the former President of Pepsi says about Blackmore and their