Bleacher Report

The internship program

Former Employee - Intern in San Francisco, CA
Former Employee - Intern in San Francisco, CA

I worked at Bleacher Report

Pros

Promoted my writing so it would be well-read, gave excellent feedback, provided good promotion opportunities, and did exactly what an online journalism internships should do.

Cons

It was the first internship program for the site, so obviously, there were a few kinks: Breaking News coverage, response time and feedback quantity were a little subpar.

Just improve on what you are already doing. The program made me a much better writer and gave me a loyal following of readers.

28 Other Employee Reviews for Bleacher Report (View Most Recent)

The internship is a scam

Former Employee - Editorial Intern in San Francisco, CA
    Former Employee - Editorial Intern in San Francisco, CA

I worked at Bleacher Report

Pros

I got to write a lot, but I could have done that without an internship.

Cons

The two guys in charge of the internship were completely incompetent. By the end of the internship, most of the interns either quit, or seriously thought about quitting. The whole reason I did this was to get meaningful feedback on my work, but all I got back in my reviews most of the time were thoughtless comments. They made it very clear towards the end of the internship that our value was strictly in our ability to get the website hits. Each week got a little more disorganized and a little more aggravating until most of the interns just wanted to quit.

If you're an upstart website hoping to become legitimate by recruiting good writers (you have to be embarrassed with the content the website produces right now) be sure not to piss off top young sports writers from some of the best schools around the country. I've already told all of my friends in the field to avoid this internship and have contacted my career services to tell them to stop advertising your internship as I found it to be a ridiculously unorganized experience.

Simply a word mill.

I worked at Bleacher Report

Pros

The website gets your name out there on the internet. You get a lot of readers and a small following working for Bleacher Report.

Cons

Your name has to be attached to Bleacher Report. The company has only a few employed writers. Those that are employed are all asked to write on a few breaking news article topics and pump out a bunch of articles about it. This in turn floods search engines like google and makes bleacher report on top of the search results. This is how they get so many viewers. If you want to be a sports writer this is not the place to get your start because most places after will not take you seriously.

It is a nice concept to let fans write about sports but flooding the internet is not the way to get your company taken seriously. Find the talented writers and hold onto them. Do not pay writers that just know a little about a lot of topics. Focus in on writers that no a lot and are experts in one or two topics.

There are newer employer reviews for Bleacher Report