There are newer employer reviews for Bleacher Report

The internship program

Former Employee - Intern in San Francisco, CA
Former Employee - Intern in San Francisco, CA

I worked at Bleacher Report

Pros

Promoted my writing so it would be well-read, gave excellent feedback, provided good promotion opportunities, and did exactly what an online journalism internships should do.

Cons

It was the first internship program for the site, so obviously, there were a few kinks: Breaking News coverage, response time and feedback quantity were a little subpar.

Advice to Management

Just improve on what you are already doing. The program made me a much better writer and gave me a loyal following of readers.

reviews filtered by
  1. Bleacher Report Internship: A Great Way to Get Into Sports Journalism

Current Employee - Featured Columnist/Former Intern in San Francisco, CA
    Current Employee - Featured Columnist/Former Intern in San Francisco, CA

I have been working at Bleacher Report

Pros

First and foremost, the internship at the Bleacher Report is a great way for a budding writer to build a portfolio and hone his or her writing skills through a structured program. The coordinators gave constructive feedback and were always accommodating when extenuating circumstances arose. I loved that there were deadlines and assigned topics to write about. I've trained for other sports writing internships but quickly fell off the wagon due to a lack of feedback, structure, and supervision. Partaking in the Bleacher Report internship is a fun and low-pressure avenue through which sports enthusiasts, young and old, can develop their voices, self-starter or no.

Cons

There were certainly some kinks in the program, though they were pretty much all either attributable to technical difficulties not related to the internship or have since been accounted for by adjustments in the structure of the program. The fact that it's entirely online can be a bit of a drawback, since there's no face-to-face contact, but the format also allows for a great deal of flexibility on the part of the intern.

Advice to Management

Keep up the good work! Prompter feedback on articles and a quicker turnaround on the end-of-program evaluations would be greatly appreciated. Definitely publicize the program more, especially around college campuses.

The internship is a scam

Former Employee - Editorial Intern in San Francisco, CA
    Former Employee - Editorial Intern in San Francisco, CA

I worked at Bleacher Report

Pros

I got to write a lot, but I could have done that without an internship.

Cons

The two guys in charge of the internship were completely incompetent. By the end of the internship, most of the interns either quit, or seriously thought about quitting. The whole reason I did this was to get meaningful feedback on my work, but all I got back in my reviews most of the time were thoughtless comments. They made it very clear towards the end of the internship that our value was strictly in our ability to get the website hits. Each week got a little more disorganized and a little more aggravating until most of the interns just wanted to quit.

Advice to Management

If you're an upstart website hoping to become legitimate by recruiting good writers (you have to be embarrassed with the content the website produces right now) be sure not to piss off top young sports writers from some of the best schools around the country. I've already told all of my friends in the field to avoid this internship and have contacted my career services to tell them to stop advertising your internship as I found it to be a ridiculously unorganized experience.

There are newer employer reviews for Bleacher Report