Blizzard Entertainment

www.blizzard.com

Its too bad to find out the reality of Blizzard.

Senior Artist (Current Employee) Irvine, CA

Pros- Some strong and successful IPs.
- Company as a whole tries to value its employees.
- Health benefit is not bad. (the monthly premiums are quite high)
- Good 401k match.
- Company perks and events. Great parties.
- Free blizzard games and other discounts.
- Quite a stable job environment.
- Nice Gym.
- Great internal tournaments.
- Profit sharing. (Its a double edge sword though. It makes up for their below average wage, but can change at anytime)
- Vacation days.

Cons- Really bad management overall.
- Poor communication within and across departments and teams.
- Very political. Politics over logic, professionalism, and work ethics. Whether you can do a good job, finish your work on time, or have the knowledge to do the work is much less important than you getting along with people and being liked by your supervisor and key people in the company.
- People there do not understand what professionalism is. From HR to most of management. Most of them are not on top of and do not resolve issues (production or management issues). They have tons of meetings to talk about it and only to come out of those meetings to do nothing.
- Extremely inefficient. Waste a lot of time and effort to do very little.
- Poor pipeline and workflow. Designed by people who do not have the knowledge or experience, but yet has a huge ego.
- A lot of "old-timer" employees that has been with the company for a long time that do not do much work but yet, because of Blizzard's emphasize on seniority and loyalty, their jobs are very secure. They happen to be the most political as well.
- Poor planning and executions. This is from art / art direction to actual product development and production.
- Poor career path and growth opportunities.
- Methods used to track and measure performance is a failure. Performance reviews are pretty useless and there are nothing like a 360 review. Overall, there is a huge lack of accountability throughout the company.
- Overwork employees. (multiple all nighters during crunch time is not uncommon. Salary employees do not get overtime and it does not matter how many all nighters they do.)
- Below industry standard salary.

Advice to Senior ManagementDon't let your success and huge profits blind you. People will find out the reality of the place over time, so please "actually" do something about it before it is too late. Endless meetings to just "talk" about resolving these ongoing issues is not helping.

Emphasize on seniority was great in the past and its really appreciated by many, including myself to see a company still cares about that. But currently it is killing the core of your company. The company needs fresh blood and a fair assessment of who should be in leadership roles and who should not be. Just because someone is here long enough or someone in charge favors a particular person is really detrimental to the company right now.

Raise the base salary. Its ridiculous what you guys are paying people and the worse part is, you guys make a ton of money. Also, please spend some money back to the working environment. It is currently very stale and not a very creative environment. Companies that make a lot less money spend much more back to the workplace. And that includes ergonomic peripherals, desks.. etc.

My Crazy Blizzard Life

Customer Service (Current Employee) Irvine, CA

I have been working at Blizzard Entertainment full-time for more than a year

Pros: In short, the people. You will work with some of the most amazing people… Cons: If you are in the CS side of things, you are pretty much stuck there. To get out to another branch of the company could… Advice to Senior Management: Keep rocking. You have some the best people, take care… Yes, I would recommend this company to a friend – I'm optimistic about the outlook for this company… More

While not the ideal position for my tastes, the company itself was one of the best I'd worked for.

Account and Technical Services Representative (Former Employee) Irvine, CA

I worked at Blizzard Entertainment full-time for more than 5 years

Pros: Very relaxed, yet energetic, professional culture. Cons: Not all teams are created equal. Some expectations seem, at… Advice to Senior Management: Find a way to manage your teams, and stick it out for more… Yes, I would recommend this company to a friend – I'm not optimistic about the outlook for this company… More
There are newer reviews on Blizzard Entertainment.

Worked for Blizzard Entertainment? Contribute to the Community!