There are newer employer reviews for Blizzard Entertainment

Great people to work with

Former Employee - Customer Support Representative  in  Irvine, CA
Former Employee - Customer Support Representative in Irvine, CA

I worked at Blizzard Entertainment full-time for more than 3 years

Pros

- Fantastic workmates
- Good cafeteria
- Great events and perks
- Some of the best games on the market

Cons

- Difficult to advance
- Somewhat disorganized training/work metrics
- Lack of communication between departments
- Some poor management choices

Overall this has been one of my favourite places to work, ever. I love the company and still have a lot of love and loyalty for the company and the games. Mike Morhaime has always done right by his employees, from my limited personal experience and from everything I have heard. He is an admirable man who has made some amazing changes to maintain the company and uphold the core values.

There were many ups and downs in the CS department over the time that I was there. As they grew, there seemed to be more of a distance between what was happening in the department itself and how that was communicated to the upper managent of the company. On the whole, the individuals I worked with rolled well with the punches and certainly became a force to be reckoned with in the gaming industry. From a business perspective, I can see where it made sense to cut back on some of the perks and events, but sometimes it felt that the only departments affected by those cut-backs were the "entry level" departments. May I suggest finding ways to make cuts across the company (rather than just one or two departments) that make business sense, but that don't shoot down employee morale?

I would also suggest raising the payscale somewhat for Quality Assurance and Customer Support, just to be a bit more competitive in the industry. I think Blizzard can pull the cream of the crop into every department, and those people deserve to be paid to reflect that polish and shine they bring to wherever they are hired.

196 Other Employee Reviews for Blizzard Entertainment (View Most Recent)

My Crazy Blizzard Life

Current Employee - Customer Service  in  Irvine, CA
    Current Employee - Customer Service in Irvine, CA

I have been working at Blizzard Entertainment full-time for more than a year

Pros

In short, the people. You will work with some of the most amazing people ever. You get taken care of and all the special parties are pretty nice too.

Cons

If you are in the CS side of things, you are pretty much stuck there. To get out to another branch of the company could take a miracle. And getting promoted gets a bit tricky, because those that are in the positions of power that you want tend not to leave.

Keep rocking. You have some the best people, take care of them like you always do.

Its too bad to find out the reality of Blizzard.

Current Employee - Senior Artist  in  Irvine, CA
    Current Employee - Senior Artist in Irvine, CA

I have been working at Blizzard Entertainment full-time for more than 3 years

Pros

- Some strong and successful IPs.
    - Company as a whole tries to value its employees.
    - Health benefit is not bad. (the monthly premiums are quite high)
    - Good 401k match.
    - Company perks and events. Great parties.
    - Free blizzard games and other discounts.
    - Quite a stable job environment.
    - Nice Gym.
    - Great internal tournaments.
    - Profit sharing. (Its a double edge sword though. It makes up for their below average wage, but can change at anytime)
    - Vacation days.

Cons

- Really bad management overall.
    - Poor communication within and across departments and teams.
    - Very political. Politics over logic, professionalism, and work ethics. Whether you can do a good job, finish your work on time, or have the knowledge to do the work is much less important than you getting along with people and being liked by your supervisor and key people in the company.
    - People there do not understand what professionalism is. From HR to most of management. Most of them are not on top of and do not resolve issues (production or management issues). They have tons of meetings to talk about it and only to come out of those meetings to do nothing.
    - Extremely inefficient. Waste a lot of time and effort to do very little.
    - Poor pipeline and workflow. Designed by people who do not have the knowledge or experience, but yet has a huge ego.
    - A lot of "old-timer" employees that has been with the company for a long time that do not do much work but yet, because of Blizzard's emphasize on seniority and loyalty, their jobs are very secure. They happen to be the most political as well.
    - Poor planning and executions. This is from art / art direction to actual product development and production.
    - Poor career path and growth opportunities.
    - Methods used to track and measure performance is a failure. Performance reviews are pretty useless and there are nothing like a 360 review. Overall, there is a huge lack of accountability throughout the company.
    - Overwork employees. (multiple all nighters during crunch time is not uncommon. Salary employees do not get overtime and it does not matter how many all nighters they do.)
    - Below industry standard salary.

Don't let your success and huge profits blind you. People will find out the reality of the place over time, so please "actually" do something about it before it is too late. Endless meetings to just "talk" about resolving these ongoing issues is not helping.

Emphasize on seniority was great in the past and its really appreciated by many, including myself to see a company still cares about that. But currently it is killing the core of your company. The company needs fresh blood and a fair assessment of who should be in leadership roles and who should not be. Just because someone is here long enough or someone in charge favors a particular person is really detrimental to the company right now.

Raise the base salary. Its ridiculous what you guys are paying people and the worse part is, you guys make a ton of money. Also, please spend some money back to the working environment. It is currently very stale and not a very creative environment. Companies that make a lot less money spend much more back to the workplace. And that includes ergonomic peripherals, desks.. etc.

There are newer employer reviews for Blizzard Entertainment

Worked for Blizzard Entertainment? Contribute to the Community!