There are newer employer reviews for Blizzard Entertainment

Frustrating, no room for self starters

Former Employee - Customer Service in Austin, TX
Former Employee - Customer Service in Austin, TX

I worked at Blizzard Entertainment full-time (more than an year)

Pros

Decent benefits as long as you don't need allergy shots

Cons

Extreme micromanagement, even for a call center - not only is it how much you do, it's how much you do at a time. The attendance policy is also very harsh - doctor's notes do not validate any absences.

Extreme problems with upper management not understanding or caring about lower level needs. Constantly changing standards for evaluations and a steady stream of people leaving does not make a healthy work environment.

204 Other Employee Reviews for Blizzard Entertainment (View Most Recent)

Awesome place to work

Current Employee - 3D Artist in Irvine, CA
    Current Employee - 3D Artist in Irvine, CA

I have been working at Blizzard Entertainment full-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

-Awesome games and awesome projects.
    -I work with a great group of people.
    -Company really tries to take care of you if something work related happens to you and will provide necessary equipment to help you out.
    -We get life drawing classes every week.
    -Sweet new years party to look forward too.

Cons

-Have to worry about how well games will do or subscriptions dropping, but that's like that anywhere really.
    -Pipeline is not the most efficient as of this writing but we're working on that.
    -CS and QA isn't treated as nicely as Dev teams are.

Keep being awesome.

Blizzard's Corporate Corruption Reflective of Broader "Occupy Wallstreet"-type Grievances

Former Employee - Tier I In-Game Support Representative/Game Master in Austin, TX

I worked at Blizzard Entertainment full-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

-Generally fun place to work, or at least a fun place to claim to work.
    -Pay was decent by my standards, I was throwing away excess cash left and right and still had more to spare.
    -It's a positive "work experience" on a resume, though I have yet to benefit from that.
    -Free WoW
    -Above average benefits packages
    -At least HR goes through the motions of providing access to resources.
    -Morhaime is a saint, get him in your corner if you can.
    - No drug screen or random testing

Cons

-Training is short and virtually pointless. They'd almost be better off just throwing people in without it. And their "on-going training" is a joke, it's like a pep rally. They teach you things that barely apply out on the floor, it's a waste of time. They could save oodles on lost productivity by stopping these failed ventures.
    -Their practices of hiring temps borders on the unethical. While I was there, the on-site temp hiring manager was discovered to be discriminating against perceived undesirable new hires and setting them up for failure. He was specifically doing things like forging attendance records to get people fired. "Wet Blanket Steve," thankfully, lost his position due to this coming to light, but it still took like 2 years before that happened.
    -Ever-changing and conflicting expectations and policies contribute to a labyrinthine work environment - expect to get lost and left in the dark. I couldn't speak with my managers about real issues for fear of reprimand, suspicion or getting ignored.
    -I think I met the HR lady twice; once at hiring, and once for filling out 401k stuff.
    -You're never good enough to promote; you literally have to be top dog, volunteer for 60 hour weeks, and kiss every ass over your head. 99% of Blizzard employees are destined to become former employees one way or another. The 1% that's left gets fat, overpaid, and arrogant.
    -The typical corporate attitude of money before people permeates this company to the core. They laid off in late Febuary. It's early August and they're hiring temps again... and apparently they have a problem with rehiring ex-employees.
    -You're strongly encouraged to shut up and do your job. Doing anything to better yourself or your environment detracts from your productivity, making you look bad. This even makes kissing ass a risky endeavor.
    -There's definitely more than a few bad apples in mid and upper management. Firing people for minor offenses makes them look good. When Seniors Game Masters get promoted to Lead Game Masters they tend to go two-faced. The longer they're there, the longer they will stay, and the more corrupt they get. I'd say 4/5 Lead Game Masters end up leaving the company for better opportunities and to escape the toxic environment. While the main supervisor I had for the majority of my time there was great and at least half the Senior Game Masters were amazing, everyone else sucked and was sour and disrespectful.
    -The customers and management make the work toxic. Long exposure will eventually break your morale and get you fired. You'd think Blizz would support their employees on this front, but the sad truths of capitalism's backwardness prevail.
    -There's a lot of cronyism within the management. During my time there there was an influx of ex-Dell hotshots among others cycling in, hiring each other, tag teaming through positions, using all their corporate experience to iron post-merger Blizz flat and soulless. It all looks good on paper, but when dude comes in for 6 months to give the company a patented corporate facelift and then runs off with a cool couple million $ in stocks and upper management pay, it makes you wonder what the world is coming to.

Get to know your employees and invest in them, protect them and be on their side; there's no reason why Blizzard shouldn't have the most experienced, well paid, and happy staff on Earth; stop screwing them over. Increase oversight of management, for the love of god. Stop hiring mid and upper management from outside the gaming industry or from so called "customer service" companies, Blizzard has lost immeasurable credibility due to persevering misconceptions of what customer service ought to be by corporate standards. Have some integrity and worry less about public image. Worry about your employees instead of your bottom line. Truly worry about the customer instead of productivity or "quality" in the form of cheeky game masters that use leet speak to relate to 14 yr olds. Instead of giving customers a survey on their experience talking to Game Masters, give Game Masters a survey about the customers. I think this company would benefit astronomically if it were run from the bottom up by its employees and qualified customers. Stop pretending to promise the world to employees and fans and actually do it. Give what's deserved and fire most of the stagnating mid management and promote from within, maybe even letting employees manage themselves; this would be the first step to riding evil from the company.

There are newer employer reviews for Blizzard Entertainment