There are newer employer reviews for Blizzard Entertainment

Blizzard is a sweat-shop, I feel sorry for anyone that has to work there

Former Employee - Tools Programmer  in  Irvine, CA
Former Employee - Tools Programmer in Irvine, CA

I worked at Blizzard Entertainment

Pros

It's hard to think of any reason to work for a sweat-shop.

Cons

Ok, so the list:
When they fire people, they don't do it quietly, they send an e-mail to the entire company saying "so-and-so is no longer an employee of Blizzard Entertainment, as with all guests, please escort them at all times when on company property". You've gotta be kidding me! you think that boosts morale? what a joke.

Regarding career development, I asked the lead game designer for WoW about what it would take for me to move from being a tools programmer to a game developer. My problem was I had no experience, and all job requirements say you need at least 2 shipped titles. Guess what his answer was!? He told me "to be quite honest, you'll probably have to leave Blizzard, get some experience else-where, then come back to work here". You've gotta be freakin' kidding me if you consider that career growth, and advancement opportunities.

Blizzard was absolutely the worst place I've worked, and i'm not the only one, take a look at your GM department, you'd be hard-pressed to find one person that doesn't work there anymore say a single good thing about it.

195 Other Employee Reviews for Blizzard Entertainment (View Most Recent)

Excellent company with amazing leadership!

Current Employee - Software Developer  in  Irvine, CA
    Current Employee - Software Developer in Irvine, CA

I have been working at Blizzard Entertainment

Pros

I am extremely proud to work for Blizzard Entertainment.

It is an excellent company with amazing leadership. I have never seen a company full of so many wonderful and talented people. The company treats employees extremely well and encourages career development. You are expected to do your best and adhere to the standards of Blizzard quality.

Blizzard quality - the devotion to the the concept still amazes me every day. Everyone in the company is doing his/her best to produce the best gaming experience. It is truly amazing and brings out the best in people.

Overall, it is a demanding but fun company to work for.

Cons

I am really happy here and can't find any downsides.

You are doing a great job.

A company who has lost all fire.

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee  in  Versailles (France)
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Versailles (France)

I have been working at Blizzard Entertainment full-time for more than 8 years

Pros

-Decent salary if you are an oldtimer like I am and enjoyed the good raises we got years ago.
    -Geek and nerd culture
    -Good material conditions for work

Cons

-Inept middle management
    -Peter Principle in full: the management's first preoccupation is to make sure able people do NOT get promoted so they can keep on being lazy.
    -Salaries have stalled since the activision merger
    -Making it look like you work is actually more important than working. If you know what you are doing, you can get away with very little work.
    -Stupid and inappropriate metrics. Yes, that 13 year old is going to rate you when you refuse to give him free stuff.
    -Management is not accountable for their decisions.

Get conscious that most of the problems are coming from inept middle managers whose sole interesy is securing their position. And check who sleeps with who, seriously. I've never seen a company where bed promotions were so blatant. Half the middle management sleeps with employees.

There are newer employer reviews for Blizzard Entertainment

Worked for Blizzard Entertainment? Contribute to the Community!