Blizzard is a sweat-shop, I feel sorry for anyone that has to work there

Former Employee - Tools Programmer  in  Irvine, CA
Former Employee - Tools Programmer in Irvine, CA

I worked at Blizzard Entertainment

Pros

It's hard to think of any reason to work for a sweat-shop.

Cons

Ok, so the list:
When they fire people, they don't do it quietly, they send an e-mail to the entire company saying "so-and-so is no longer an employee of Blizzard Entertainment, as with all guests, please escort them at all times when on company property". You've gotta be kidding me! you think that boosts morale? what a joke.

Regarding career development, I asked the lead game designer for WoW about what it would take for me to move from being a tools programmer to a game developer. My problem was I had no experience, and all job requirements say you need at least 2 shipped titles. Guess what his answer was!? He told me "to be quite honest, you'll probably have to leave Blizzard, get some experience else-where, then come back to work here". You've gotta be freakin' kidding me if you consider that career growth, and advancement opportunities.

Blizzard was absolutely the worst place I've worked, and i'm not the only one, take a look at your GM department, you'd be hard-pressed to find one person that doesn't work there anymore say a single good thing about it.

Other Reviews for Blizzard Entertainment

Excellent company with amazing leadership!

Current Employee - Software Developer  in  Irvine, CA
    Current Employee - Software Developer in Irvine, CA

I have been working at Blizzard Entertainment

Pros

I am extremely proud to work for Blizzard Entertainment.

It is an excellent company with amazing leadership. I have never seen a company full of so many wonderful and talented people. The company treats employees extremely well and encourages career development. You are expected to do your best and adhere to the standards of Blizzard quality.

Blizzard quality - the devotion to the the concept still amazes me every day. Everyone in the company is doing his/her best to produce the best gaming experience. It is truly amazing and brings out the best in people.

Overall, it is a demanding but fun company to work for.

Cons

I am really happy here and can't find any downsides.

You are doing a great job.

Good company overall with room for improvement

Current Employee - Senior Customer Support  in  Cork (Ireland)
    Current Employee - Senior Customer Support in Cork (Ireland)

I have been working at Blizzard Entertainment full-time for more than 5 years

Pros

Great respect for individual identities and approaches, everyone is friendly and approachable and there are constant training opportunities, including temporary assignments to other roles or departments. When joining the company, benefits and wages are still very good.

Cons

Promotions unfortunately don't give much of a pay increase, losing part of the appeal in the long run. It's a highly competitive process to be promoted and you'll need to be ready to dedicate years to see a chance to join any upper management positions.
    Benefits have seen a constant downtrend in the past years and that affected the majority of people working in Customer Support. Also pay increases have been reduced limiting even more your earning potential.

We have many talented people with academic background, work experience, skills that surpass their current role. They join and stay because they love the company but in the end they leave because benefits and salary are not adequate anymore since benefits have been reduced year after year while inflation and cost of life keep increasing. The lack of advancement opportunities also push people to join other companies in a better role and bring with them all their potential and original ideas, while we keep individuals that are disengaged but satisfied of the ratio between their effort and salary.
    Even if we will hire another talented person to replace the one who left, we will still be years behind compared to what the more experienced employee could offer and his understanding of his role and potential. We are not retaining talent or rewarding it if not with advancements at least with benefits.

There are newer employer reviews for Blizzard Entertainment.

Worked for Blizzard Entertainment? Contribute to the Community!