There are newer employer reviews for Blockbuster

Great start when I began, now a lackluster situation that gets you nowhere after a while.

Former Employee - Store Manager
Former Employee - Store Manager

I worked at Blockbuster

Pros

Freedom to create "your" workplace, build your own team and make a financial difference to a company. I worked for this company for 12 years working in every aspect on a district level and have to say there are some great things this company gave me during my tenure there.

Cons

The company has been ravaged by corporate misdeeds and possible corruption of past CEO's (especially those who fit the model of "failing upwards" and then squeezing the company for a payout in the millions for terrible decisions and motivations). I truly believed I would be working for this company for years to come but after numerous proposals and ideas being ignored or shot down (even when I garnered support for marketing in the local media, etc.) Blockbuster is currently being led down a path of self-destruction. DISH Network was thought to be a good fit but instead I feel they will cannabalize what's left for their profit structure and use the name only for future business needs. This is truly one example of a company that should have succeeded with technology but instead showcases a true example of corporate greed, injustice and possible fraud issues that should be investiogated. I am so sad to report the last 12 years of my life would have been spent better off working for a company that has been consistently ok with profits rather than this tyrannical company that bleeds their employees of every last drop.

There is nothing to save this company at this point so any input now, from this long-time employee, would be pointless. Good luck on your future job hunts (to those who deserve it).

660 Other Employee Reviews for Blockbuster (View Most Recent)

A Once Great Company Now Headed Toward Closure

I have been working at Blockbuster

Pros

Work / Life balance was ok if you had a competent team.

Cons

Constantly under pressure to achieve unrealistic revenue targets and sales metrics. Constant failure to rate and review management equally...it was all about who the favorites were even if they weren't performing. Never had a formal review to assess my progress. New benefits package under Dish was horrible and doesn't even meet the minimum standards for insurance in some states.

My advice would be to replace the leadership at Blockbuster and seek a team that is able to move the brand forward.

Used to LOVE IT but now ashamed to still be there

Current Employee - District Manager
    Current Employee - District Manager

I have been working at Blockbuster

Pros

Get to work with movies
    Friendly Customers
    Great co-workers

Cons

They are closing all the stores
    Company in SERIOUS financial problem

Change the VP of Store.. the company needs someone with a back bone to stand up to Dish and make a stance on what the stores need to servive. Also upper mgmnt needs to be more respectful of the field employees and what they bring to the company.

Make up your minds about what you want to go.

There are newer employer reviews for Blockbuster

Worked for Blockbuster? Contribute to the Community!